Best Led for planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dallascowboys16

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys I have a heavily planted tank with low, medium, and highlight plants and they are all growing great under my dual t-5 ho fixture but I feel like its time to upgrade to a high quality led. Which led fixture is the best for my tank. It's a standard 55 gallon open top with a Wooden canopy. I just need some guiding as I have never purchased an led before. I am not on a budget and would like to get the beast fixture possible. Thanks in advance! :)

I have 4 Build My Leds. They are very high quality and if you buy the dimmer kit you can use the light from 10-100%. I have one over a 55g and if I use the light at 100% it is high light. You can view Par ratings on their site. I also bought the 75% beam angle since a 55 isn't very wide. It gives a more concentrated light with a higher par reading at the substrate. Freshwater - Build My LED, LLC

Thanks for the reply rivercats! What version of the led would you recommend the Dutch planted or the Iguami fixture. My only concern with the Dutch planted is that based off of the pics from the website it seems to give the water a yellowish tint. Also I have a good amount of red plants and which one would show those off better as well. Thanks for the response!:)

I agree, for that size tank the BML would be your best bet.

Hey Brian, do you know if those fixtures have the same style plug as the current fixtures? Since they are dimmable, I wonder if they can be coupled with currents ramp timers, or maybe the one touch controller from ecoxotic? The one touch controller has been out for a while and ecoxotic is actually a sister company to current, so I think it's funny how current is acting like they came out with this brand new idea...

Thanks for the reply rivercats! What version of the led would you recommend the Dutch planted or the Iguami fixture. My only concern with the Dutch planted is that based off of the pics from the website it seems to give the water a yellowish tint. Also I have a good amount of red plants and which one would show those off better as well. Thanks for the response!:)

Even the 7000K will make the red plants look good. I have 8000K ones and all non green colors look great.

I agree, for that size tank the BML would be your best bet.

Hey Brian, do you know if those fixtures have the same style plug as the current fixtures? Since they are dimmable, I wonder if they can be coupled with currents ramp timers, or maybe the one touch controller from ecoxotic? The one touch controller has been out for a while and ecoxotic is actually a sister company to current, so I think it's funny how current is acting like they came out with this brand new idea...

I don't think the current/eco is compatible. Here's some pics I dug up online.

img_2702034_0_3c7531c00c90de8eecb3f1203d926d85.jpg

img_2702034_1_1c9552f4b8374e707fd05894cb0b28a1.jpg

Looks like the dimmer uses a connector that looks like some sort of ethernet line.

Yeah ecoxotic is current's subsidiary. Ecoxotic, for the most part, focuses on SW higher priced stuff.

So I'm going to get the Iguami 48" high light setting in silver with the manual dimmer and is that all I should need to get my fixture up and running?

Like a dummy I forgot once and it cost half of what the feet were to ship them!!!

Back
Top Bottom