Best lighting for 5 gal planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You inspired me to test the medicine dropper I'm going to use for the Flourish. 1 mL = 19 drops! Thanks, now I know exactly how many drops to add .5 mL or 1 mL Flourish. I'm going to see if I can pick up another dropper like it for the Prime.

Hi, sorry i don't know how i missed all these updates, but thank you! And medicine eye droppers sound good. I'm lucky and I work in a lab so i get can get my hands on syringes (minus the needle) and pipettes for free, so that's what i use. I need take a look at the dosing calculators to find out if i've been dosing alright too....though i do usually give a little extra with each dose anyway :) Again, thanks for all the useful info in this thread everyone ;) :-D

The drugstore only had syringes, not droppers. They gave me a couple but I'm having trouble figuring out how to read it. I think I will continue to look around for a children's medicine dropper in mLs.

I found a local drugstore that does compounding. They sold me a couple of the droppers they use that are marked off for .25, .50, .75 and 1.0 mLs. Very handy. I'm using them now for the fertilizer and Prime. I'm being very conservative with the Flourish until my new aquarium light comes in so I don't grow algae. It's frustrating to wait two weeks for a light but the local stores just don't stock much in the way of 14W 15" flurorescent bulbs and the shipping costs too much to order individually online.

Last edited:
I'm finally ready to upgrade the lighting on my 5.5 gallon tank. I'm tired of ugly brown diatoms. I'm still using same All Glass light strip I've had all along but with a 6500K fluorescent tube. An, do you still recommend this light? Compact Fluorescent Aquarium Lighting: Single Satellite Compact Fluorescent Fixtures I checked and it is still available.

I want, I guess, medium light. Enough to grow healthy plants. So far, the only plants I've kept alive successfully are anubias and a little microsword.

Back
Top Bottom