Best liquid ferts for a low-tech tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CPryor

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been using API Leaf Zone, but my bottle is about empty. I saw someone mention that it's not the best choice for ferts?

I can easily get my hands on some Seachem Flourish, Aqueon Plant Food, and Nutrafin Plant Gro....any opinions on which is best? I'd love to see my ferns growing faster....my betta tank seems a little sparse for a fish native to rice patties! And do I need liquid CO2? My tanks are both small, medium light, ultra low-tech:

10 gal. with Anubias nana in foreground, Red Ludwigia in left corner, and babbyyyyy java fern on right:
91042-albums13841-picture66342.jpg

5 gal. with established Anubias Nana, Amazon Sword (same thing as java fern?) and three baby Java Ferns floating around, maturing before they are ready to plant.
91042-albums13917-picture66201.jpg

I would go for flourish. Leaf zone is like a mix of different ferts and IMO, not as effective as flourish. You don't need co2 for tanks this low tech. People mainly dose liquid co2 for getting rid of algae or a "cheaper" solution to pressurized co2.
Amazon swords are totally different from java ferns. That beta tank is not med light and the sword will most likely die if kept in that light condition. Swords are also heavy root feeders and you should add the occasional root tab, especially since your tank does not have any/very little fish waste to act as a supplement.

Weird...It's showing up on my screen. It's in my albums....not sure what's up.

The 5 gal and the 10 gal. have the same light bulbs in them (10 watts each), but the 10 gal. has two sockets. Do you say the 5 gal. is low light because of the depth of the tank, or because it appears dimmer? It's an older tank, and lime has built up on the plastic protector around the bulb....I have GOT to clean it :ermm:

And dang....I meant to put "Amazon Fern": that's what it was labeled as, on the little tube it came in. The guy said it was how TopFin was labeling Java ferns now....dang, i had kept the packaging, but it looks like someone tossed it, sooo i cant see if I'm going crazy....google is skeptical that there is any such thing as an "amazon fern" It looks just like a Java fern.....If it starts to melt, I'll move it. I was thinking about ordering some root tabs for the Ludwigia anyway...and so I could get in on some of the more 'needy' pants.

And I'll pick up some Flourish. Thanks for the input :D

I would consider putting a couple BX bulbs in that bowfront. If you're intent on growing in that tank, you're gonna have to get with it on the lighting. I still see a lot of articles written in watts per gallon, so you want about 2 to 3 watts per gallon. Not sure what PAR that is.

Weird...It's showing up on my screen. It's in my albums....not sure what's up.

The 5 gal and the 10 gal. have the same light bulbs in them (10 watts each), but the 10 gal. has two sockets. Do you say the 5 gal. is low light because of the depth of the tank, or because it appears dimmer? It's an older tank, and lime has built up on the plastic protector around the bulb....I have GOT to clean it :ermm:

And dang....I meant to put "Amazon Fern": that's what it was labeled as, on the little tube it came in. The guy said it was how TopFin was labeling Java ferns now....dang, i had kept the packaging, but it looks like someone tossed it, sooo i cant see if I'm going crazy....google is skeptical that there is any such thing as an "amazon fern" It looks just like a Java fern.....If it starts to melt, I'll move it. I was thinking about ordering some root tabs for the Ludwigia anyway...and so I could get in on some of the more 'needy' pants.

And I'll pick up some Flourish. Thanks for the input :D

If the bulb came with the beta tank, the light is most likely not good. Watts per gallon is outdated and PAR is used more often. There are a lot of posts on here that talk about PAR.
I'm pretty sure amazon fern and java fern are different plants. Amazon fern is not fully aquatic but java fern is.
What you have on the lid is probably algae, not lime. The hood is moist and warm most of the day so algae likes to grow there.

It’s not algae- I’m not sure if “lime” is the correct term, but it’s definitely some sort of mineral deposit (kinda like what you see on old car batteries). It’s an old model, with a c-shaped protector piece that is attached to the hood with a screw, so I just need to stop being lazy and allot some time to removing it to clean it properly. The bulbs burn out about every two years, so it’s FAR removed from the original bulb.

I researched PAR and only got so far as understanding it has something to do with the light spectrum and a great many charts and equations that my poor non-mathematically-inclined brain interprets as an unknowable magic. I’ll try more, once my brain re-charges, but I’m afraid I might just have to file it with string theory, tesla generators, combustible engines, and other concepts I find interesting but do not understand in the least. :dope:

It’s an Aqueon 50/50 mini compact. That means I have 2 wpg in each tank, for all it’s worth. It apparently has “ a combination of 10,000k daylight and true actinic blue light”. The wavelength can be seen here (second thumbnail under "product features": Aqueon » 50/50 Mini Compact Fluorescent Lamp | Products

Now…actinic light does nothing for plants, correct? I tried the colormax a few years ago in the 5 gal and hateddddd the pinkish light it gave…any better ideas for an E26 standard medium socket?

I'm really kicking myself for not keeping better track of that packaging....I had kept it in case I needed to return the plant clearly marked "AQUATIC plant", but unfortunately, I did not alert my simi-OCD boyfriend as to why I still had it:nono:

I SWEAR that's how it was labeled: not African fern, or Borneo fern, or Peacock fern, or anything I know is not truly aquatic....Amazon fern. I might just have to be OCD myself and drive to the store to take a look tomorrow and confirm to myself. Swear it looks like Java fern, not a sword at all.

But, I completely accept the fact that I may be making stuff up in my head.

*EDIT* Just found out PetCo is labeling their java ferns as "Tropica" Ferns....guess these two companies just really like screwing with people?

Ahh ok I know the mineral deposit stuff you are talking about. Not sure what the name is but I just scrape it off my canopies.
Actinic will not help plants grow and 10,000K is also a little too blue for plants. Try getting a bulb that is between 4000-8000K. 6500K is the most common color temp people go for.
I'm pretty sure petco has both tropical fern and java fern. I don't think tropical fern isn't fully aquatic.

Back
Top Bottom