Best live plants for my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rich.Carpenter

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 29g rectangular tank with gravel substrate and fluorescent light hood (it was purchased as a package). What live plants are available to me in this low light environment? I would like a couple of tall-ish plants, such as the ribbon-type or tall strands with smaller leaves, but I would also be interested in mostly shorter varieties to fill in space in and around a larger resin ornamental piece.

Tropica

Go to advanced search. You can put in the hight of plant and the lighting requirement, and it will give you a list of plants.

Crypts are usually a good choice for low light. Can't go wrong there for you midground and foreground plants.

A 29g setup typically comes with a 25W light I believe (perhaps 18W). That's not a lot of light and you will be extremely limited. By upgrading your lighting fixture, it will greatly increase your options.

Your main options are going to be Anubias, Java Ferns, Java Moss, and Crypts. Luckily most of these have several varieties with varying appearances. For instance you might find that Needle Leaf Java Fern will fill the need for a tall ribbon type plant. Not all of these are likely to be available at your LFS, but quite a few can be obtained through the forums. Plantgeek.net is another good site for researching plants.

Thanks for the suggestions. Are the hood lights pretty standard? Mine sits on the hood around a ridge that surrounds the opening in the hood. It's just an 18w (F18T8 ) tube.

Are the hood lights pretty standard?
For kits yes pretty much depending on tank dimensions. There are better hoods with more wattage from mild to wild, DIY or kit. Just remember more light=more responsibility and work for the most part.

I second Purrbox on the plants listed, I'm currently growing javafersn/crypts/javamoss in my 10 that was a kit.

You may want to look into a better quality bulb, better spectrum/same watts. Thats what I plan to do with mine but so far the stock one works.

The lighting that comes in kits and deluxe hoods are pretty much standard. They are meant for viewing fish and minimizing algae, not growing plants. This is why the standard setup limits you to just a few very low light plants.

They are meant for viewing fish and minimizing algae, not growing plants.
The bulb itself? or just the low wattage? Like how important is the quality of a 15w fluorescent?
Maybe I will get a better bulb for mine soon then

Bulb doesn't matter as long as it is between 5000k - 10000k. You need more wattage. A double 30" strip light is not to much money and would give you better choices. A 65 PC fixture would make it a lot easier to grow a variety of plants

As Rich said it's the amount of light not the quality of the bulb that counts for the most. Also don't fall for bulbs sold in the aquarium store, that higher price tag doesn't mean higher quality.

Ok, I've gone through Tropica.com (great site btw - thanks for the tip), and determined what I want to start out with. Now I just need to decide where I want to buy the plants. ThatPetPlace.com has most of them, but the shipping costs are kind of high. Where does everyone else buy their live plants online? I don't have many resources locally.

Check out the Barter/Trade forum here on AA. You should be able to get most common plants very inexpensively this way.

Another option would be to contact Lowcoaster (Charley) on Aquabid.com. His prices are a bit higher than some, but he makes up for it in quality and quantity.

Back
Top Bottom