Best method for adding new plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mixer

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just got new plants in the mail today, what is the best way to add them to my tank? Should I just open the bags and just chuck'em in? Should I go ahead and stick them in the substrate, or float them?

I always acclimate mine. I float the bag in the tank for a few. I also dip mine in H2O2 to prevent any unwanted nastiness from coming in my tank (parasites, algae, etc). Then, I plant them.

Make sure I remember my chemistry, h2o2 = hydrogen peroxide, right?

Yes. Sorry. So much easier to type H2O2 than hydrogen peroxide. I forget that everybody didn't grow up with a chemistry teacher father.

So just to make sure, your just dipping the plants into the H2o2, not soaking, and are you then rinsing them? Or do you put them in the tank with a little h2o2 on them?

oops... left out a part. yep, once i dip them (not soak), i rinse them off in tap water that's relatively the same temp as the tank water. but... h2o2 won't hurt anything in the tank in small quantities. I've used it applied directly in the tank to bba to kill it.

EDIT: I might also add that many people plant them directly with no dips or acclimation. I just prefer this method. As I'm sure you're aware, there are many ways to do things in this hobby

Last edited:
Ok well opened up the plants and wow, I ordered too many! :). So I guess I will split it between the two tanks.

One of the tanks just has regular gravel from the LFS and the other is actually the dirted, planted tank that these plants were for. Man let me tell you it really messed up the dirted tank when I was planting them. I used tweezers to try and minimize the amount of dirt I stirred up.

Anyway here are some pictures.

Attachments

• image-285819007.jpg
    image-285819007.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 80
  • image-520555045.jpg
    image-520555045.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 79
very very nice....what plants did you get? I can see cabomba, anacharis(?), crypts, anubias, ferns, wisteria or sprite?

I don't like dipping plants I get the the mail, especially during the summer. They're weak and the warm temperature will get their pores opened up. A dip or soak in a cleaning agent isn't friendly on weakened plants. Plants from the store or from a grow out tank are fine to be dipped in a 1:19 bleach water solution for 2 minutes (except for a very few sensitive plants)

daileene said:
very very nice....what plants did you get? I can see cabomba, anacharis(?), crypts, anubias, ferns, wisteria or sprite?

Yeah, I got Anacharis, crypt crispatula, rotala indica, cobamba, I already had the java fern, and the anubias.

The plants seemed to be in good condition, and I got a ton for my $20 , it's just a shame it takes sweet aquatics almost a month before I got them, and I had to email them before it got sent.

yeah...they are still so backed down from having the damage in their warehouse...but they do give you more for what you paid...

Back
Top Bottom