Best place to buy plants???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skifflexie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi I have plants, most of which I have no idea the names of.... I'm getting ready to upgrade to a larger tank, so I will need more plants, which is better and cheaper? Local or on the Internet? Also does anyone have any recommendations for buying plants online???

I have been looking at AquariumPlants.com They seem to have a really good selection and not terrible prices. As far as which is cheaper.. that depends on how big of an order you are going to be placing. Shipping can run $20 so the bigger the order the more cost effective it will be to buy online.

Post a tread here. Just need to know what kind you want. What kind of light you have?

I don't know too much about species yet, I like large tall thick bright leafy greens and short cute ground cover....... I need to do some research in the types I like....

My tank hood came with a bulb, it says full spectrum.... I'm not sure what that means, but I am buying a plant grow light.

I'm no expert but what I have read divides in too three groups low medium and high light. From this you base needs of the plants. All stock kit tanks will usually come with a low light. Start by looking into low light plants see what you like.

I don't know too much about species yet, I like large tall thick bright leafy greens and short cute ground cover....... I need to do some research in the types I like....

My tank hood came with a bulb, it says full spectrum.... I'm not sure what that means, but I am buying a plant grow light.

Bulbs are measured in color temperature or the spectrum of light that they give off.

Full spectrum bulbs are generally 5000k - 6500k and are heavier in the yellow end of the light spectrum. While good for growing plants, most people don't like to solely have full spectrum light and supplement it with 10000k bulbs which have more blue in their light output. Doing this tends to bring out brighter colors in fish and gives it a different appearance.

With the stock tank bulbs you can grow low light plants such as different types of anubias and java fern. With the more intense lighting you will need to start looking into fertilizers and carbon dosing.

Hi I have plants, most of which I have no idea the names of.... I'm getting ready to upgrade to a larger tank, so I will need more plants, which is better and cheaper? Local or on the Internet? Also does anyone have any recommendations for buying plants online???

Peabodysparadise.com the owner is a fellow aquarist very good customer service great plants here's a then and now shot of my tank with a bunch of his plants in there. This is only 2.5 month span. Oh and his prices are very reasonable.

ForumRunner_20130712_131347.jpg

ForumRunner_20130712_131423.jpg

I have a 17 flora max watt bulb in my 29 gallon tank, have water wisteria, java fern and some petite nana anubias. All 3 have grown well without overtaking my aquarium and my tiger barbs love them.

Petsmart is a little pricier in my area than Petco but the people at Petsmart tend to know a lot more about fish.

Thanks everyone I can't wait to check out these sites and start deciding on plants that I might like..... I have a dirted tank, and I can do a DIY CO2 if necessary, is there a limit on the amount of plants that is healthy for a tank? Also I am going to purchasing a plant light so I will have corrective gong for the low/medium beginner plants.

http://www.peabodysparadise.com/shop/?no_mobile_theme here's a link to peabodys they have more selection plus they sell an amazing root tab my sword went from a plantlet to 8" tall in a couple of months with there tabs. Plus he always throws in some extra stuff with every order.

Agreed!! Peabodys is awesome!! This guy is so non corporate he tells you how to make his own root tabs!! And great prices all around. In my opinion , best plant company around!! Look at his 8 dollar deals! Cannot be beat. And freebees as well.

Thanks everyone I can't wait to check out these sites and start deciding on plants that I might like..... I have a dirted tank, and I can do a DIY CO2 if necessary, is there a limit on the amount of plants that is healthy for a tank? Also I am going to purchasing a plant light so I will have corrective gong for the low/medium beginner plants.

Your biggest limitation will be space. You can compensate in ferts and co2 as needed, the more plants you have the more you'll need to keep them happy and healthy.

Back
Top Bottom