Best Planting substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Austin.b

Aquarium Advice Addict
I can't decide between Flourite black sand, flora max, and Eco-complete. In the Tank I will have some bottom dwellers. Probably loaches and corydoras. will they disturb the substrate and cause the water to cloud? This would probably be a problem with the fluorite sand only. Which substrate do you think is better? Will show more results? Thanks!

Austin.b said:
I can't decide between Flourite black sand, flora max, and Eco-complete. In the Tank I will have some bottom dwellers. Probably loaches and corydoras. will they disturb the substrate and cause the water to cloud? This would probably be a problem with the fluorite sand only. Which substrate do you think is better? Will show more results? Thanks!

There's alot of Eco complete fan boys on here just to warn you. It's just a matter of personal preference they all do about the same thing. What little cloudiness you get with the fluorite shouldn't be your concern if rinsed well and put in tank properly you'll be fine. Ec is more beginner friendly but I personally like black sand if you have loaches and cory's easier on their whiskers and what not. I have it in all of my tanks it looks amazing and my fish love it! But just my personal preference.:)

Discusapisto said:
There's alot of Eco complete fan boys on here just to warn you. It's just a matter of personal preference they all do about the same thing. What little cloudiness you get with the fluorite shouldn't be your concern if rinsed well and put in tank properly you'll be fine. Ec is more beginner friendly but I personally like black sand if you have loaches and cory's easier on their whiskers and what not. I have it in all of my tanks it looks amazing and my fish love it! But just my personal preference.:)

Awesome!! Yeah lol I read the eco-complete argument in the other thread. I really like the look of black sand too, it looks professional haha

Also look at Fluorite Black Sand. Everything we like about Fluorite, except pulverized into a sand.

aqua_chem said:
Also look at Fluorite Black Sand. Everything we like about Fluorite, except pulverized into a sand.

Yeah, thats what were talkin about LOL would I need to add anything to it? Or it's an all in one substrate? Thanks!

Austin.b said:
Awesome!! Yeah lol I read the eco-complete argument in the other thread. I really like the look of black sand too, it looks professional haha

It does look nice you won't regret trying it trust me:)

Discusapisto said:
Your welcome:) just rinse it and put it in carefully if you need tips on how to put it in let me know:)

Is there a special way of putting it in the tank?

Austin.b said:
Is there a special way of putting it in the tank?

Best way is rinse what you can than put it in your tank, lay the bags it came in over the rinsed sand,and weight them down with a plate or two and gently fill your tank with the water hitting the plate. Once almost filled gently remove plate and bags and presto it may be hazy but won't look like mud. With a good filter haziness will clear in a few hours. Unless you go nuts with planting you may stir up a cloud but I use planting tweezers it kept my cloudiness to a minimum. Hope this helps:)

One other option is that you could just get some black sand and supplement with root tabs. You really should supplement with root tabs anyway unless you are using soil capped with something.

Back
Top Bottom