Best plants for 5 gallon tank with 11-12 watts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
W

WiNGSPANTT

I am thinking Java Fern and Dwarf Anub, though I'd also like something for the back of the tank, which is about 13" tall. Thanks!

ps not planning to fert or inject

For a taller plant in back you might want to look at some varieties of crypts.

It's short for Cryptocoryne, which is a genus that contains a large number of mostly low light plants. You should be able to find at least a few varieties to fill your needs.

Is that something that you could just get at a small LFS or petsmart or something?

Possibly, I don't know what your local LFS might have, but I get my plants from a private source. If you go on Aquabid.com and look for a member with the user name Lowcoaster yopu will find he has a great assortment of plants and is willing to help with any questions you might have. Several members of this board have ordered from him and I personally have received some spectacular plants from him. His prices are fair and he ships quickly.
I also like having someone I can contact directly not a company.

Some Crypts like Cryptocoryne Wendtii are readily available in the LFS, others are much more difficult to locate. You'll need to check your stores to determine which varieties are available in your area. It's not uncommon for some stores to just sell them as an unidentified Crypt sp. either. If the price is right they may be worth a try, but most crypts are very difficult to ID unless you get them to flower. As such you may find that it ends up being much smaller or larger than you wanted.

Also, if you get a crypt, don't freak out if many leaves melt away soon after you move it into your tank, they'll gorw back.

Back
Top Bottom