Best plants for a 45 Gallon tank that require little aid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mas8394

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I always wanted to cover my gravel in some kind of plant, as I've seen in so many other tanks, how ever as a working college student, I don't have the time or funds for CO2 Injections, Heavy duty lighting, etc.

My Plant Experience.

So far I only have a Java fern which has recently broke up into a large clump and a small stem of it's former glory, 2 huge and beautiful Amazon Umbrella Sword Plants which both I and the fish love, Christmas Moss, and Pellia Moss.

Although the Java Fern and Amazon plants grow like crazy in the tank, the Moss are slow growers. I had tied down the Christmas moss to a large cave (as I received a 12"x12" packet for free) but my Opaline Gouramis (2 at the time) were extreme pigs and literally ate my X-Mas moss up. I tied the Pellia moss onto a small decoration and a small cave (The Gourami didn't go after the Pellia, amazingly). The Pellia actually almost completely died off, before eventually growing (it was growing quickly, but seemed to stop)... My hope was that if the moss grew fast enough, I could try and mesh it or intertwine it into the gravel - but that hope has so far been in vain.

The reason I post this is because google has failed me (but then again I failed to go passed the first 3 links) and everywhere I go they recommend java and pellia moss to line the flooring... Which I already tried (well, not Java Moss per se)

Anyways thanks guys! :D:thanks:

I have had bad luck with mosses. I have a few guys who eat it as fast as it grows. I have been looking into dwarf sag as an alternative.

Avoid dwarf hair grass unless you have super high light. I have a low light tank now- the new lights I ordered should be here any day now but will put me at the mid light range so I know from my research dwarf sag would be ok in low light. It uses runners to reproduce/spread so you don't have to worry about netting like you would a moss

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Pellia moss can be tricky to grow compared to other mosses. Sometimes it's accidentally confused with mini pellia or subwassertang. Either way, they're a like more light needy and slower growing than other mosses like Flame, Xmas, peacock, fissidens, etc.

I'd go with any other moss than Java. Just my opinion, I don't like the unruly sporadic growth characteristic of java. You can tie the moss to stainless steel mesh or rocks for a nice effect over the gravel.

As mentioned, try dwarf sag. It's an easy and forgiving plant.

Crypts are good too. Just pop in a root tab under the swords and crypts (if you get them).

Narrow leaf java fern also provide a nice change in textures.

Back
Top Bottom