Best screw in cfls?!! (Or other cheap lighting)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tacos377

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I plan on growing low-medium light plants in my tank. I already have some guppy grass and java fern living under two 13 watt 6500k bulbs. I wanted to upgrade to something stronger to get better growth. I saw that coralife sells color max bulbs at 20 watts for plants and I wonder if 2 of those would be better than what I have? I'm also open to more suggestions. I don't want to spend more than $50.

Two 13w should be more than sufficient for medium light. I've done fine in a tank that size with two 10w.

So would 2 20 watt bulbs of spectrum specific light be too much? I'm worried my reflectors are kind of crappy and I may need more lumens to over balance the old and bad reflectors.

I agree with aqua. That's exactly what I was running on my 10g and its perfect. I painted the reflector white though. If you want better/faster growth, try a good substrate, ferts, and co2. You can try the 20 watt bulbs, but then co2 might be a must.

Ok. I'm an obvious newbie but maybe I will just get the stronger light and see if it causes algea problems. I just want more growth is all. I am using eco complete but have yet to get flourish or excel type chemicals.

Ok. I'm an obvious newbie but maybe I will just get the stronger light and see if it causes algea problems. I just want more growth is all. I am using eco complete but have yet to get flourish or excel type chemicals.

You can't just add more light. Adding Ferts will help.

My Shrimp Jungle has to be trimmed weekly and I use two mini CFLs. Maybe 10-11 watts each.
I use Flourish comprehensive, DIY root caps and weekly PWCs. Excel on occasion.

Adding more light without ferts and some form of Carbon is asking for Algae. Besides, I doubt your hood is rated for 20 watt bulbs, please check.

I'm not an expert, but I've been running 4 planted tanks for a few years and am a member of a plant club. One of my fellow members is one of THE EXPERTS, Tom Barr. So I've gotten advice from the best.

Excel or CO2 plus ferts will give you that fast growth you want.

My hood is rated for 25 watts each bulb. I can take the bulbs back too eventually if they cause problems. I will probably pick up some dry ferts and some carbon too.

I'll also backup the great advice already given. You already have plenty of light with the 13 watt daylights. Just adding ferts and something like Seachem Excell or co2 will get you better growth without the algae issues. Remember, plants like java fern don't really care about the substrate nutrients as much as the water column nutrients. They feed right out of the water.

I'd stick with the 13 watts and just order ferts. Excel is just a carbon supplement. You'll still need nutrients in the water column, and root tabs for root feeders. Flourish comprehensive and flourish excel is a good way to start. But if you start seeing problems, pps-pro dosing with mixing your own dry ferts is very cost efficient, and will cover all the needed nutrients.

Btw, CFLs are self ballast so I don't see a problem with using different wattages, the only potential problem I could see is if the wiring can't hold up, other than that, it shouldn't really matter.

Billbug68 said:
Btw, CFLs are self ballast so I don't see a problem with using different wattages, the only potential problem I could see is if the wiring can't hold up, other than that, it shouldn't really matter.

Well, the ultrasuns really are better than average store CFLs because they aren't spirals, but U-types which have less restrike and are designed to be used horizontally instead of vertically. They're ideal for this tank.

Well, the ultrasuns really are better than average store CFLs because they aren't spirals, but U-types which have less restrike and are designed to be used horizontally instead of vertically. They're ideal for this tank.

Oh yeah, I totally agree the u tubes are better than spirals.

Edit: I guess, IMO, money would have been better spent on ferts than new bulbs, since the spirals will suffice for time being. I think that's the point I was trying to make... Lol

Billbug68 said:
Oh yeah, I totally agree the u tubes are better than spirals.

Edit: I guess, IMO, money would have been better spent on ferts than new bulbs, since the spirals will suffice for time being. I think that's the point I was trying to make... Lol

You and I are definitely on the same page there! But, you know, I think we've both been there at some point in the hobby. It's easy to get excited about making the kind of upgrade to a tank that's just plain fun to play around with... even if that money could've been spent more effectively on something else. In the end these tanks are all about enjoyment. He's got a fresh set of lights that he's happier with and after he gets some Flourish comp and some Excell his tank will have two upgrades instead of just the one. In the end it'll be win win. That's how this hobby goes. We always seem to get the stuff we want.. THEN get the stuff we need! lol

You and I are definitely on the same page there! But, you know, I think we've both been there at some point in the hobby. It's easy to get excited about making the kind of upgrade to a tank that's just plain fun to play around with... even if that money could've been spent more effectively on something else. In the end these tanks are all about enjoyment. He's got a fresh set of lights that he's happier with and after he gets some Flourish comp and some Excell his tank will have two upgrades instead of just the one. In the end it'll be win win. That's how this hobby goes. We always seem to get the stuff we want.. THEN get the stuff we need! lol

For sure, you know I've been there... Haha plus the op is already using Eco complete, so they are off to a really good start! :)

Billbug68 said:
For sure, you know I've been there... Haha plus the op is already using Eco complete, so they are off to a really good start! :)

Here here! I have EC in all three of my planted tanks. I just need to get my hands on a few CRS and I'll be in heaven. Maybe when the weather warms up.

Back
Top Bottom