Best Substrate? Best Fertilizer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DukeNukem713

Aquarium Advice Activist
I want the best bang for my buck for planting a 30gal. Post what substrates and fertilizers have worked best for you or make suggestions!

I've been using the "L<3VE FISH" liquid fertilizer since I got my Swords from Pets @ Home.

(the plants they sell have almost no roots D: )

And it has from what I've seen speed up the growth of new and long roots (upto 4")

the cheapest and best to me as a teenager(im cheap;)) is flourish excel(basically all nutrients combined and organic carbon) and flourish root tabs(for rooted plants)

best substrate?

what do u mean?

cheapest best
AquariumPlants.com's own: Freshwater Plant Substrate
very nice;)

2nd cheapest
eco-complete OR flourite(flourite sand is better as its heavier than eco-complete)

I would just use miracle grow soil capped with sand

the BEST but SUPER EXPENSIVE

ADA substrates.

+1 on Flourish Excel, plus with some Flourish and Flourish Iron coupled with it plants thrive! :)

Also +1 for the Eco-Complete. Great minds think alike ;)

Also, keep in mind depending on your plants you'll need some good, strong lighting.

Actually flourish excel is just a liquid carbon supplement, it doesn't have ferts in it.

Absolute cheapest route would be to order dry ferts and make your own pmdd mix, if you want to add liquid carbon, buy a bottle of metricide or cidex 28 day and dilute it down, and use oil dri, soilmaster select, or turface for substrate.

I really like the eco complete I have in my 75g high-tech setup. For ferts, you'll be better off going with dry ferts(like from Rex Griggs). Cheaper than constantly buying premixed ferts in the bottle, and you can easily adjust your levels as needed.

for ferts i was wondering more about root tabs and stuff. things i can put in the substrate that are safe and effective? my roomate has some sort of liquid in a bottle stuff for plants so im just going to use his

If you use dry fertilizers, adjust it based off of your lighting and if you use co2.

I like my Floramax and root tabs.

well i have 23in long plant light, dont know the watt exactly, and i dont use co2. so would i adjust more or less? etc...?

this is what i use and it works wonders

i use a mix of 50% seachem flourite and 50% caribsea inc. super naturals black sand. grows plants, keeps water clean after the intial settleing and looks great because they match.

i dont even have to use liquid but once every few months i add a little for grins.

for ferts i was wondering more about root tabs and stuff. things i can put in the substrate that are safe and effective? my roomate has some sort of liquid in a bottle stuff for plants so im just going to use his

From my experience, not only are dry ferts more cost effective for that size of a tank, but you will see better results with dry ferts as well.

Back
Top Bottom