Best substrate system for planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SnailorJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all, I am moving soon and will have to take apart both of my tanks for the move. Currently, I have sand in both and am using root tabs to fertilize my plants, but I was thinking that it might make sense to use a fertilizer type substrate beneath the sand layer since I am already stripping the tanks. I have some plants that are heavy root feeders, and I think they might really benefit from this. However, I have no experience with this type of substrate and would appreciate any advice!

10 gallon:
Dwarf Sagittaria (weak carpet)
Uruguayan Sword
Red Tiger Lotus
Ludwigia (Red and Ovalis)
Moneywort

I would go for flourite or eco-complete. Flourite is finer and needs to be capped and eco-complete is larger grained but doesn't need to be capped.

Okay, thanks. I have heard of people using garden soil as a cheaper alternative, but I was afraid that would have chemicals in it possibly? I imagine that would be a cheaper solution for sure, but I don't know if it's actually usable. Anyone know about this?

I use dirt in all my tanks. All i use is miracle gro organic potting soil with clay and crushed coral to buffer the ph. I use a cap of pool filter sand.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Okay, thanks! I guess I'll get some kind of organic potting soil, and do a few inches of that, capped by like and inch or two or sand?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have more questions/concerns now. I've done a small bit of research, and it sounds like it's recommended to give the soil time to 'mineralize' before putting the fish in. I'm planning on making this change this weekend when I am moving and will be taking my tank apart anyway. However, I have no where to keep my fish except for in the Tupperware containers I'm using to move them, so I can't just let the tank sit for weeks without the fish. Does anyone know more about this? Is there a risk to putting in fish immediately after adding in a new soil capped with sand substrate? Also, I have kuhli loaches, and though I've never ever observed them digging in the sand, should I be concerned that they will cause a mess? Should I just suck it up and pay for fluorite or something similar instead of organic potting soil since I need the tank to be ready immediately?

No theres no risk putting fish in a newly dirted tank as long as your using organic soil. What it means by that is that the soil leaches a lot of nutrients which can cause an algae bloom. What you should do is fil the tank and drain it 2-3 times before putting the fish in. This will remove excess nutrients. You should also do a partial water change every other day for a week after dirting it. The fish will be fine tho

Remove as much of the wood chips from the dirt before laying it. They like to decay and bubble up the substrate. Mine blew a giant wood chip pimple and now I have wood chips all over my lovely black tahitian sand. I'm slowly cleaning that up, week over week with water changes. You'll also need to get a large bbq fork to pokw the substrate to release the oxygen from decomposing matter on a regular basis. Otherwise I couldn't suggest organic soil more highly. All my plants love it.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you use pool filter sand the gases wont need to be released manually. They just bubble up by themselves. Pfs also allows better circulation throgh the dirt. If you want a white sand i would reccomend pfs.

Great, thanks all. I have play sand already that I'm using, so I'm planning on sticking with that...though I've always loved black sand and now could be a good time to change :D I have a good number of MTS, do I still need to aerate the soil if they're rooting around in there all day?

The point of mineralizing is to remove the organics. For this reason I would not use organic potting soil. I would use the cheapest topsoil, or better yet, top soil or subsoil dug from the yard. Usually I take whatever is a few inches below the surface. I also mix mine 50/50 with gravel and cap with an inch of plain gravel. Gravel helps anchor the roots better than sand in my experience.

I feel more comfortable using potting soil than soil from the backyard, but I don't have a backyard to dig soil up from anyway. I picked up some organic soil today that I plan on using. I think I want to make the switch to black substrate though! :D and I'm going to do the same with my 10 gallon, dirting and black sand. Does anyone have cheap suggestions for black sand, or should I just buy a couple bags from petco? At least I won't need a ton since I'm just capping the soil with it.

Also, anyone know if the MTS are enough to aerate the soil or if I still need to poke it myself?

It should be fine. I never had any problems with dirt "explosions" just make sure to try and get as many wood chips out of it as you can.

Out of interest what is the advantage with something like seachem fluorite ? Does it hold nutrients better or just allow the plants to root better compared to gravel or something?

Compared to gravel or compared to potting soil? Compared to gravel, it is full of nutrients so the plants are always fertilized and should grow much better. Compared to potting soil, I believe the benefit is that it is specifically formulated for aquariums, so you are likely to has less problems and it might have a different ratio of nutrients.

How about potting soil? I've been using that in pots but wondered if an aquarium product would be better. Or I can get a cheap bag of aquaponics clay balls at hardware store (should of taken a photo).

Back
Top Bottom