best type of plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfan12

Aquarium Advice Regular
hello,
i have a goldfish in one tank and 2 mollies, 2 platies, and 2 tetras in another. i am wondering about the best type of plants to put in there. i do not want the plants for decoration, but for purpose. i need them to supply oxygen and lower nitrites, basically.
thanks in advance

If you want plants that don't require you changing or adding to your current setup find some Java ferns. They require little more than an occasional trim to work fine in a traditional fish only gravel bottomed single tube flourescent lit tank.

Oxygen generated by the plants may be modest, better to provide plenty of aeration through normal means. Don't know if they will eat up the nitrites, but nitrates definitely. My levels went to 0 after putting a 'java mat' (a bundle of java ferns) into my larger tank. Java ferns will grow at the top, through shoots and smaller plantlets that look like mini versions of the main plant.

Java moss is also low maintenance and easy to deal with; can be tough to get the algae out of it in a higher-light tank. I'm having good luck with crypts, good foreground plant.

Something in the back of my mind says "ask about goldfish and whether they eat plants"... don't have the answer to that one ;)

If you have nitrites in your aquarium, then it isn't cycled and you've got other problems. Adding plants will add complexity without necessarily fixing the problem.

Please remember that live plants also require care, so it pays to research your setup to make sure that you can care for them properly and buy appropriate plants for your setup. There is a sticky at the top of the forum that has links to lots of great threads and articles, I suggest that you give it a read.

Back
Top Bottom