Best way to diffuse co2 in a nano

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doog

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a mini DIY co2 generator rigged up as of this morning, its producing gas very well but im not sure the best way to dissolve the gas.

Im running a 3i whisper filter. For those who arent familiar with the design its an air powered filter. Basically an air pump inject sbubbles at the bottom of a 2 inch plastic column creating water flow to a small plastic container with a carbon insert.

Can I just put a T valve and run the air and co2 into the same space or....? I dont know im abit confused as what to do.

The aeration of O2 from the air-pump will cancel out a lot of the CO2, I don't think you can run air w/ CO2 and expect to have any beneficial effects from CO2.

Sorry, I can't help you much other then that.

Does this only apply in the filter? What if I find a way to diffuse on the other side, will the Co2 still have its effects?

Any ideas?

I'm not familiar with this filter, but from the description it sounds like it will be excellant at gassing out the CO2. What size tank are you dealing with? You would probably better of switching to either a mini HOB filter or even going without a filter. A mini HOB could be used to diffuse CO2.

its a 2.5, im new to the plant thing what i hope to accomplish is a highlight system with a lawn.

yes ive been planning on buying a red sea nano HOB but for now im bored and happen to be very handy.

Im planning on rigging a pill bottle with a ladder system, with an intake for co2 at the bottom and small holes around the bottom for release.

I use a small water pump (AquaVia 180) to power a small inline reactor on my 2.5 gallon tank. It works really well and provides the water movement the tank needs. No filter on the tank at all.

Hmm an inline diffuser is a possiblity but I think i have something concrete down as mechanics wise but im not sure if it works.

As of now I have a 20cc syringe plunger side down(plunder removed of course) and the airline going into the top (where the needle goes).

It fills up with Co2 and remains filled, every once and awhile realeasing a large bubble. So theres always 20cc of gas in the tank at all times, good? will it work? yes, no? im no scientist but it seems to operate on the bell diffuser method (having a large pocket).

But the syringe doesn't have enough surface area with the water to make it very efficient. You would want something with a larger opening. You also want to direct water flow towards the diffusor as this allows for more diffusion of the CO2 into the tank.

how much surface area is reasonable in a 2.5?

I was thinking of another design where I could fill a smaller syringe the same way but rig a bulbus aparatus around the top to catch the bubbles floating up. maybe even 3 different sized bells, so when one over flows the bubbles get caught on the large apparatus right above it! Kinda like a bell/ladder system.

Critisim? I enjoy making gadgets but only if they work!

sweet deal on that nano, im burnt out on the creative ideas at the moment. I think ill just buy one of those.

still any idead on the multilevel bell diffuser i mentioned in an earlier post? would it work?

also at the moment im using an air diffuser air stone, the co2 comes out very fine. how effective is this and would I need to upgrade to a glass?

For any type of bell diffuser to work well you need a solid current flow under it. Per haps a small powerhead with the CO2 into the intake would work well in a nano.

In my nano, I run a glass diffuser under the outflow of the filter. See how the current whips the CO2 into a little tornado before blowing all over the tank.
CO2_tornado.JPG

Ok ive decided im going to go out and buy a red sea nano HOB today.

Though I have a quick question. Right now i have, what i belive is a sintered glass airstone (labeled air diffuser) hooked up to the air, half positioned under a homemade bell.

I just tested the water and PH dropped from a I BELIEVE, if i remeber the previous reading correctly, a 7.4 to a 6.8.

Now I dont have a KH test kit (can I buy this at petco?) can anyone tell me a rough estimate of co2 ppm by experience only? All the calculators I have found require both integers.

As a general rule you are looking for a full point drop in pH to reach 30ppm of CO2. So you'd be aiming for 6.4 since your original pH was 7.4.

ok sweet!

thank you guys for all the help, especially through my gadget phase

I'd recommend a bottle of Excel as a backup. You can dose the normal level or 1/2 recommended along with your CO2 to make sure there is always a supply. That is, as long as there are no susceptable plants.

Ok will do, im not sure if this is possible but what I hope to accomplish is a lush lawn in this little nano so anything to help is appreciated.

Right now im running DIY Co2 into a deco art mini filter with 40 watts on the 2.5.

At first I thought that might be overkill but after reading around this subforum, I guess its about right due to the size? What would be the ideal wpg for highlight on a 2.5?

Also is gravel for substarte ok, or should I bump up to eco-complete for better results?

Any advice to accomplish what im after would be a great help.

Really with tanks this small it's a lot of trial and error to figure out how much lighting to use. many people have reported using either 13watts or 2x9watts over this tank with great sucess. I'm currently running 2x13watts over mine and I'm finding that it acts more like it's somewhere around high light. I can grow all the really high light plants, but I don't get the really nice colors (which could be more due to nutrient levels) and the carpet plants don't always creep as well as they should. Never heard of anyone running 40watts on a tank this small.

If you can get the really fine grade gravel it'll probably be okay. However since your looking to grow a nice carpet you'd probably be better off with PFS, Eco Complete, or Aquasoil. These are nice and fine and will make it easier for your carpet to grab on.

Ok cool, im not into the carpet yet, and in relaity my 13 watt 6500k hasnt come yet so its just a 27 at this point. I was planning on doing a haning rig with the 13 watt to compliment. I dunno we'll see. Thanks for the advice on the substrate, any trick to keep my bacteria whiles witching?

Back
Top Bottom