best way to diffuse DIY CO2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's a side view of the burp hole and inside to see the spiral flow that will come out of the powerhead, therefore you no longer need that stupid sponge that will clog and blow off anyway after some time.

Only very fine mist exits the bottom, this mist can be blasted around the tank for better CO2 mixing and dispersion from a filter outflow.

Easy to make, takes maybe 15min ?

regards,
Tom Barr

Attachments

• burphole_872.jpg
    burphole_872.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 864
  • resized_inside_930.jpg
    resized_inside_930.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 877
Thanks plantbrain. That looks like something I can handle, I think.

Are those just little plastic pieces that you use to make the venturi loop (from the intake to the side of the viewtainer)?

How far into the side of the viewtainer do you put the rigid tubing? And what's the purpose of that tube going from the viewtainer to the intake of the powerhead? Also, where does the CO2 go in?

Also, how loud is the Rio 180? I had bought 3 a while back, and ended up giving them away because of the rattle. I could hold the powerhead in the tank and it would be silent, but when the suction cups were about a half inch from the glass wall, the glass amplified the rattle, could hear it in the next room. And when suctioned to the glass wall, you could hear them on the other end of the house. But at 2 inches from the glass, they were silent. But when I moved it away from the glass, it became silent. Don't want to waste any money if it's going to do it again. I have other powerheads, but they don't have the 90 degree piece that would go into the viewtainer.

bump...

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out the path of the CO2. Any ideas on how this works? Once I see where the CO2 input is, then maybe I'll understand. If it's input next to the powerhead, wouldn't the CO2 just get blown out of the viewtainer, since the end of that tube looks like it's near the exit of the viewtainer? Or is it input in to the powerhead intake? Or am I missing something? LOL. Plus I don't see the purpose of the tube going from the viewtainer back to the intake of the powerhead. And does the viewtainer stick straight out, or do you install it to face down?

If it's input next to the powerhead, wouldn't the CO2 just get blown out of the viewtainer, since the end of that tube looks like it's near the exit of the viewtainer?
It is that input, and the gas will rise up.
Plus I don't see the purpose of the tube going from the viewtainer back to the intake of the powerhead.
This is the venturi loop. Maybe think of it as the CO2 recycling through the powerhead. Think of the burp hole (the other hole) as the self levelling device. CO2 should escape as a fine mist.

Yes, but the way it looks when attached to the powerhead, the viewtainer is horizontal and not vertical with the opening facing down. That's what I mean by the CO2 getting blown out of the end of the viewtainer, the tube is almost to the end of the viewtainer. Maybe the input tube should only be installed in maybe 1/4 inch rather than to the end of the viewtainer? So it sits so the opening is on the bottom, then shouldn't you install the powerhead on the side rather than the end? You would have to stick the suction cups on the aquarium glass top for it to be facing down, lol.

i have the hagen ladder in my 20 gal and was getting decent results with it but wasnt all that impressed then i got a brain fart and decided to move my filter one day when i was cleaning and noticed all the bubbles that were escaping from the top of the ladder were now being sucked up by my AC filter. i didnt like the idea of pumping it right in becasue of the damage it can cause and the noise but by the time the bubbles got to the top of the ladder they were much smaller and the filter doesnt struggle to break them up. i actually broke my impellar on my filter(dropped it in the sink when cleaning and snapped off one of the fins) and the filter is running fine even with the bubbles going into this. i am getting excellent co2 levels now. and i have only had it clogged once but that was becasue i planted a plant to close to it that the leaves grew really wide and one was sitting on the ladder. i reccomend the ladder if u dont want to build something. just set it up the same way as i do. place your filter intake directly above the ladder so all escaping bubbles get sucked up into it and diffused completly.

I currently use a glass diffuser directly under the filter intake. But what I would like to do is get a setup where I'm not pumping it into the filter. I was also looking at an inline on the intake side of my XP2, but still don't know what I really want to do yet.

Well, I made some changes. I added a MaxiJet 600 Powerhead for some current, and also my Viewtainer Powered Reactor. I'm using the Rio 180 Powerhead, with the 90 degree angle inside the viewtainer, and the short extension on the outside. Also on the inside before the 90 degree angle is the short venturi part, which is where I have the CO2 plugged into. So the CO2 not only gets busted up coming through the venturi, but inside the viewtainer as well. And I have the Rio 180 going into the side of the viewtainer rather than the bottom, so I can adjust the angle that I want the viewtainer at. Currently it's at about 15 degrees or so, pointing down. And the Bolivian and GBR babies love it, lol. They love going inside for some exercise, then coming out for a break, lol. I have the viewtainer at a slightly more angle facing down than in the pic. I also have a small relief hole in the top and the bottom of the viewtainer, right where the black part ends and the clear begins. This allows the CO2 to bubble off if too much gets caught up in the viewtainer. Going to watch it tomorrow and see exactly how it does over a whole day, but the 2 hours I had it on, I'm getting a little better CO2 level than I did with the glass diffuser under the XP2 intake, with no change in the needle valve. If this works well, then I may just put 2 in my 75G, one on each end of the tank instead of that powered reactor that I have to keep cleaning due to getting plugged up by plant matter. Here's the pics....

Edit:
I should have taken pics, but I have the CO2 line going into the bottom of the viewtainer, and curves around the inside of the viewtainer til it goes into the venturi input. Seems to do a little better this way than to let it bubble into the viewtainer alone.

29g119.jpg

29g120.jpg

29g121.jpg

29g122.jpg

29g123.jpg

you can see where the CO2 input is if you are looking at the 3rd picture. it is right next to the PH. the other line/lines are what to appear to be a recirc of some sort. IE if the gas doesn't get dissovled it will recirc back to the pump inlet.

this is just from looking at the pics.

edit: maybe i should have went to page 2 before posting. LOL

src said:
In case it helps at all, here's a picture of my current setup:

Can src or any one tell me what size PVC pipe was used in there in line co2 reactor? The reason for me aksing is that i have been looking high and low (Lowes, Home Depot, etc) for the reducing fittings that would allow me to attatch the barbed hose fittings on each end of a 1.5" PVC pipe setup. All i can think is that i am using too large of a tube.
Also does length matter for these setups. How long is your PVC pipe?

Thanks for the help.

That particular DIY CO2 Reactor looks to be a standard 2". We'd need to wait for SRC to find out for sure. I've found that hardward stores in different areas carry slightly different PVC supplies. In a couple of the instructions I've read the person was using 2" PVC pipe and was able to get a bushing that went straight to the size needed for the threaded barb. In my area I couldn't find these and had to use a step down coupling to 1 1/2" PVC in order to find the necessary bushing. The length will make a difference, if they are too short the CO2 will be able to escape without being completely dissolved.

bump..

i would also like to know how this works and the annswers to lwb questions to.also couldnt you just use the powerhead without the viewtainer?

Ryan,

That's what I do. I only have a 20gallon tank and didn't think having all the extra tubing in the tank would look good, nor increase the CO2 levels. I plumb my CO2 line directly to the inlet of the PH. I have the PH aimed somewhat down (probably 45degree angle to the substrate). The bubbles get chopped up into very small bubbles, which then get shot out and into the tank. I get very nice CO2 levels using this setup and am on DIY.

Requires virtually no work to setup either, I just had to cut off one single fin from the inlet so the CO2 tubing would fit inside. That's it...

powerhead.jpg

Yes, you can just run the CO2 tube to the powerhead intake and use the CO2 mist technique. Several of us are trying it out now, and have been getting very good results. I have the powerhead on the side of the tank facing at a 45 degree angle with the back wall and a 45 degree angle down. This allows the CO2 to be blown under the plants and not cause too much disturbance for the plants as well. And the CO2 bubbles come up through the plants.

exalctly what i do except i just have 2 lines running in i find that it works great.i think i know how to use the inline reactor though and i would be able to do it but looking at it theres really no point it will just cost me more money.

bump!

What brand/type of powerhead works well with inserting the CO2 line into the intake of the PH? I am wanting to try this on my 55g as I have only 1 2L bottle on it now, but will be adding a second. I am just not sure what brand of PH to get. The tank is in my bedroom, so I don't want anything loud.

Any suggestions?

JustOneMore20 said:
bump!

What brand/type of powerhead works well with inserting the CO2 line into the intake of the PH? I am wanting to try this on my 55g as I have only 1 2L bottle on it now, but will be adding a second. I am just not sure what brand of PH to get. The tank is in my bedroom, so I don't want anything loud.

Any suggestions?

I use an AquaClear brand, but I don't think it matters. In my case I had to clip a "fin" off of the intake to get the tubing in there, but basically any PH will have an intake, and that is where the tubing will go.

I've since moved my PH from the top of the tank shooting down (previous picture), to behind one of my pots near the substrate. I get less turbulence in the tank (fish like this setup better), and the bubbles have more contact time with the water.

Back
Top Bottom