Best way to rid snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
I found my first snail in my tank today and well I want nothing to do with nasty ugly snails on my glass eating my plants or really just I dont want anything to do with them at all. So im looking for the best way to kill them, I know i could go with a few assassion snails but dont know if it would really work beings I only have found 1 snail.

as of right now I have tap water in my tank, however I will be using Ro/Di water shortly, will this help at all? possibly removing what ever allows them to create a shell?

Well I found about 4 snails in my tank, looked like ramshorn but I'm not sure. I moved in my assassin and 3 days letter I never saw them again, I've found the shells of 2 but I haven't looked for the others.
You can also add in a lettuce and keep watching it for the snails to be on it, and then remove it with the snails. As far as how to stop the shells from forming I'm not sure.

The piece of lettuce is the easiest way to go, put it in, wait til the next morning and pull it back out with all the snails on it. You can repeat the process if your wanna make sure they're all out.

Get a YoYo Loach. YoYo cleared out 30+ snails in a 10g in 2 days!!!

Yoyos belong in groups and don't belong in a 10 gallon tank.

I would just pick them out, if you feel you have just a few of them. But be diligent as they breed rapidly.

Be sure you don't overfeed your tank, as once they see a reliable food source, they will overload your tank with babies.

well my tank is planted so I dont see how the lettuce idea would work beings there's 1000 other things they could choose to eat, I have no desire for loaches. I think I may just see how it goes for now picking out the ones I see. Im getting a shipment in of allot of plants soon to add to my tank and Im sure they will have snail eggs on them so after those get in ill snag an assassin snail and let them rip them apart. I just hate snails and honestly dont even want an assassin snail in the tank.

If you put the lettuce in at night, after light's out, when you turn the light on in the morning, planted tank or not, the lettuce will most likely be covered with snails. Perhaps lettuce is a snail's version of filet mignon versus a Big Mac.

Back
Top Bottom