Betta Tank : I need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldeenTrix9898

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm a beginner at fish-keeping, and I was hoping somebody more experienced could judge my tank and see what could be changed before I add my betta. I have a 5 gallon tank with a 50w mini heater, a 5w 6400k fluorescent light, a hanging power filter, and an air pump. I also use both liquid and substrate fertilizers. I have yet to acquire an iron nutrient supply for the red plant. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426421607.394713.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426421643.511964.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426421668.197097.jpg
1. Is there anything particularly dangerous in the tank? Like places where a betta would get hurt?
2. My filter is behind the wall like ornament in the back, should I stick a sponge on it so my betta doesn't get sucked in? It's on the lowest setting. I would prefer not to, but I will if necessary.
3. The air pump is there because without it my 50w heater only heats half the tank. Is there any way to make it heat the whole thing without the pump? I heard betta fish dislike it. It has very weak bubbles right now, but still.
4. I currently have an Anubias nana, an Amazon sword, a small bunch of anacharis, and a Java moss ball in there. I need some help identifying the two mystery plants in the back however. The one that looks like a Christmas tree and the red one.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'm a beginner at fish-keeping, and I was hoping somebody more experienced could judge my tank and see what could be changed before I add my betta. I have a 5 gallon tank with a 50w mini heater, a 5w 6400k fluorescent light, a hanging power filter, and an air pump. I also use both liquid and substrate fertilizers. I have yet to acquire an iron nutrient supply for the red plant. View attachment 267359View attachment 267360View attachment 267361
1. Is there anything particularly dangerous in the tank? Like places where a betta would get hurt?
2. My filter is behind the wall like ornament in the back, should I stick a sponge on it so my betta doesn't get sucked in? It's on the lowest setting. I would prefer not to, but I will if necessary.
3. The air pump is there because without it my 50w heater only heats half the tank. Is there any way to make it heat the whole thing without the pump? I heard betta fish dislike it. It has very weak bubbles right now, but still.
4. I currently have an Anubias nana, an Amazon sword, a small bunch of anacharis, and a Java moss ball in there. I need some help identifying the two mystery plants in the back however. The one that looks like a Christmas tree and the red one.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

1. The stacked rocks. If not glued together all it takes is one good bump. That's the only thing that would worry me.

2. Bettas can really swim if they need to. I think it's fine.

3. Just a few bubbles won't hurt but I would look at getting a new heater.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

4. Looks like healthy hornwort a and a species of Ludwigia(red).

Welcome to AA we are glad to have you.

Just checking have you let the tank cycle? It's important to ensure the health of your fish.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Pot would be good for an ADF they love pots like that. 5g is plenty of room for a single Betta.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Just rehoused one of my old bettas and all he needs is a plant to lay on and clean water. Looks good from what i can see. The more room the betta too.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Aquarium Advice mobile app

1. The stacked rocks. If not glued together all it takes is one good bump. That's the only thing that would worry me.

2. Bettas can really swim if they need to. I think it's fine.

3. Just a few bubbles won't hurt but I would look at getting a new heater.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
The rocks are glued together with superglue. I can't pry them apart with my hands, it'd take one mighty betta to knock those over. Thanks though.

The heater heats the water just fine, but it's the fact that there is barely any current without the air pump that's the problem. The water around the heater hits 76 degrees and the heater stops. The other side of the tank is still cold.

The rocks are glued together with superglue. I can't pry them apart with my hands, it'd take one mighty betta to knock those over. Thanks though.

The heater heats the water just fine, but it's the fact that there is barely any current without the air pump that's the problem. The water around the heater hits 76 degrees and the heater stops. The other side of the tank is still cold.

Do you have the heater in the corner of the tank or in the middle. In the middle helps disputes the heat better. Also you said you had your filter on the lowest setting. Try turning it up.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

4. Looks like healthy hornwort a and a species of Ludwigia(red).

Welcome to AA we are glad to have you.

Just checking have you let the tank cycle? It's important to ensure the health of your fish.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thanks! Am I correct to assume that the red ludwigia needs a good supply of liquid iron? It is a floating plant right? Mine doesn't have any roots.
The tank is currently cycling, but I'm still waiting for my water test kit to arrive, so it'll be some time before I can actually check if it's truly cycled. Though with the amount of plants I have in there and the fact that I'm only getting one betta, I doubt ammonia will be that much of a problem. At least, I hope it won't be.

The heater is stuck to the glass on the right side of the tank, you can see it a little bit in my third picture. How do I put it in the middle? It sticks to the glass via suction cups, do I just hang it there? And I will try turning up the filter, thanks.

Oh, one thing I forgot to ask, do you think the lighting is sufficient? I'd hate for my plants to die.

Thanks! Am I correct to assume that the red ludwigia needs a good supply of liquid iron? It is a floating plant right? Mine doesn't have any roots.

The tank is currently cycling, but I'm still waiting for my water test kit to arrive, so it'll be some time before I can actually check if it's truly cycled. Though with the amount of plants I have in there and the fact that I'm only getting one betta, I doubt ammonia will be that much of a problem. At least, I hope it won't be.

You look like you have done some research about cycling and test kits which is awesome. It's a liquid test kit right? Strips are really inaccurate. Ammonia with just a Betta shouldn't be much of a problem in a cycled tank. They are not big waste producers and I feed mine one NLS pellet at a time to ensure there's not uneaten food. Ludwigia can be planted from my understanding but it will have to grow its roots.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

dosing with Flourish Excel or Seachem Iron would be enough iron I believe to give it plenty of supplement.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

You look like you have done some research about cycling and test kits which is awesome. It's a liquid test kit right? Strips are really inaccurate. Ammonia with just a Betta shouldn't be much of a problem in a cycled tank. They are not big waste producers and I feed mine one NLS pellet at a time to ensure there's not uneaten food. Ludwigia can be planted from my understanding but it will have to grow its roots.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I tied my ludwigia to a small pebble so it doesn't float away, but it's not in the substrate, is that ok?

And yes, it's a liquid test kit. The package apparently got lost so it's going to arrive much later than my other stuff.

Try taking out the air pump and getting the hang on filter to make bubbles under its water outlet. Adjustable flow filter is a must at that size and clean/replce the carbon if you have it in there, once a month, or when the water flow stalls. 75 bucks for a a led clip on is enough for good plant growth and no suppliments required. Water change at 40% every 10 days works for me with my 3 betta tanks at that size. Few red cherries are the icing.

Try taking out the air pump and getting the hang on filter to make bubbles under its water outlet. Adjustable flow filter is a must at that size and clean/replce the carbon if you have it in there, once a month, or when the water flow stalls. 75 bucks for a a led clip on is enough for good plant growth and no suppliments required. Water change at 40% every 10 days works for me with my 3 betta tanks at that size. Few red cherries are the icing.

Air pumps are fine as long as it's not a freakin whirlpool ?

Filter doesn't require adjustable flow.... Many do not have that option. If it's too much flow for the Betta there is plenty of DIY methods to disperse the flow without reducing the GPH.

Carbon is not really needed. It's good for removing medications. Some say it helps clear tannins and increases the clarity of the water but in my experience Purigen does a much better job. Just the filter pads themselves and maybe some media would suffice.

$75 for a small light like that? I paid $30 at a big box store for an LED for my 10g... And I grow basic plants like Anubias in it.

Shrimp are a hit or miss with any Betta. RCS have been known to be common victims because of their bright coloration.

Hope this helps clear some things up.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Hey guys, thought I'd give you guys an update. My tank is good and I've added the Betta and also five harlequin rasboras as his tankmates.

He doesn't have a name yet, but he's so very pretty. I'm not sure what type of Betta he is, I decided to rescue one from a pet store instead of going to a breeder. His fins are a little torn but he seems fine otherwise. Can any of you guess? He's extremely laid back and I can't get him to flare at anything, not even a mirror, so I'm not sure just how far his tail stretches.

Sent from a rebellious phone that refuses to stay on

Attachments

• 1427611382115.jpg
    1427611382115.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 99
  • 1427611397878.jpg
    1427611397878.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 1427611412189.jpg
    1427611412189.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 87
Black Orchid (color pattern) possibly rose tail or double tail I cant really get a good view of the center of the tail, and if the scales are metallic and white looking would be called Dragonscale.

Back
Top Bottom