Better lighting for live plants with Marineland Eclipse 3 Hood, is it possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elaystone

Aquarium Advice Newbie
After careful research and stellar reviews, we have purchased a SeaClear Eclipse 3 Compatible 40 gallon acrylic tank (30" L X 12.5" W X 24" H) and the Marineland Eclipse 3 Filtration and Illumination hood. We love the Eclipse 3 because of the clean look. Our intent is to establish a tetra-based tank, low-ish light with heavy live plantings. However as we move forward, deeper research is indicating the stock Eclipse 3 lighting will be insufficient for the low-light plants we desire. We are reading this online and in books. The hood has (2) 18W T8 6500K tubes. We assume this means we are at slightly less than 1W per gallon, and we assume we need to attain closer to 2W per gallon.
Questions:
1. In practical application, will we actually need more than the existing 36W of light to grow low light plants successfully?
2. Is there any practical way to retrofit our Eclipse 3 in order to achieve ample lighting given our goals?
3. Any other workarounds?
4. Is there a different all-in-one hood type that will accomplish our lighting goals?

I think that with the lighting system you have there are several low light plants you could grow. You should be able to grow crypts, anubias and java ferns to name a few. I also think wisteria would grow easily. I have grown all of these plants with only 15w of light in a tall 30 gallon cube tank. :)

Try Crypts and easy low light plants.
Bury root tabs near Crypts or stems.
Feed plant food at least 1x weekly after PWC.
Flourish Comprehensive is a good basic food.

Back
Top Bottom