Bichir's First Planted!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
*edit*
Just did the easiest solution and took it out. I don't need an algae outbreak in my tank, but it did tell me I need to check everything.
Pretty sure it happened when Brookster forgot to dose my ferts for like a week :p

*edit*
Just did the easiest solution and took it out. I don't need an algae outbreak in my tank, but it did tell me I need to check everything.
Pretty sure it happened when Brookster forgot to dose my ferts for like a week :p

That would most likely explain it,any algae on the other plants?

sit in silence...

That would most likely explain it,any algae on the other plants?

sit in silence...

Nope none. Downoi was never happy with my tank anyway, all the other plants have started to really take off and it stayed behind.
No roots on any of the downoi and generally unhappy and negligible growth.
Even the star repens like an inch from it doesn't have any trace on it...but yea I assume it was from the heavy imbalance of everything. Very short photoperiods (I didn't know how to work the timer and could only turn it on after band) with co2 pumping like mad and skimpy ferts every other-other day if I was lucky to remember. I've since been on a tight schedule with it, no gaps in anything from what my novice eye can see at least. Oopsie :(

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Nope none. Downoi was never happy with my tank anyway, all the other plants have started to really take off and it stayed behind.
No roots on any of the downoi and generally unhappy and negligible growth.
Even the star repens like an inch from it doesn't have any trace on it...but yea I assume it was from the heavy imbalance of everything. Very short photoperiods (I didn't know how to work the timer and could only turn it on after band) with co2 pumping like mad and skimpy ferts every other-other day if I was lucky to remember. I've since been on a tight schedule with it, no gaps in anything from what my novice eye can see at least. Oopsie :(

Sounds like my foreground. Downoi and staur repens show no signs of algae and are growing great but ar mini has the black beard of death

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sounds like my foreground. Downoi and staur repens show no signs of algae and are growing great but ar mini has the black beard of death

Lol well good luck getting it out!

100% excel spot treatment few days ago, and 85% is gone or pink. Might get a third and fourth amano over the weekend to help the two I have now

100% excel spot treatment few days ago, and 85% is gone or pink. Might get a third and fourth amano over the weekend to help the two I have now

Well good luck! I certainly hear all those BBA stories, sounds terrible.

Well update time! Got some plants from a friend, I honestly don't even know what hardly any of them are but gosh darn they're awesome. Some IDs would help on all but the obvious! He said a couple were really really rare too....

Yes I just threw away some tainted downoi, he gave me these two big boys. Hoping an established and heavily rooted pair will do better than their predecessors...

Sorry about this pic, it's bent a weird way and wanted to get a pic of the leaf.

FTS. Only plant I kept was one very healthy blyxa jap. and the AR brush. Everything else is new! I'm starting to really like this whole plant thing...

Wow i thought your ar was tossed and downoi and staurs where doing good. Correction to me earlier post, your foreground is the opposite of mine. Tank looks very nice!

Looks like the tall plant on the right might be pogestemon 'octopus'. Can't help with the others though

Wow i thought your ar was tossed and downoi and staurs where doing good. Correction to me earlier post, your foreground is the opposite of mine. Tank looks very nice!

Looks like the tall plant on the right might be pogestemon 'octopus'. Can't help with the others though

Lol thanks! I decided the plants I have in now are more awesome than staurs and didn't have the room to keep them. They were real healthy too.
But they will be remembered for their service!

Well I guess it's fauna update time! Got some new tank mates for the Betta.
Got a school of 6 ember tetras at the LFS. They're pretty freaking cool, love their color and the look they bring about the tank.
Betta didn't like them the first night but has mellowed out now. Hardly even notices them any more...
Went to Petco today and picked up a zebra and tiger nerite as well. Stock is done as of now!

FTS

Came home tonight to find my co2 raging like hell. Gassed my whole tank and the fish in it.
Killed everyone but the Betta. This might be my last straw for this tank. Too many variables.

Came home tonight to find my co2 raging like hell. Gassed my whole tank and the fish in it.
Killed everyone but the Betta. This might be my last straw for this tank. Too many variables.

Oh my. I'm sorry to hear this. Have you found out why it was going like it was? Faulty control? Don't let it discourage you, just find the problem and fix it. What were the other fish inhabitants? Was it only shrimp?

Don't give up man. Find out what went wrong, fix it, and prevent it frkm happening again.

Hate to hear you're having issues man. When you say the co2 was raging, do you mean literally just dumping co2 or are you guessing that's what happened? Whats your drop checker look like? Was co2 tank pressure low before this happened?

Jesse

Don't give up man. Find out what went wrong, fix it, and prevent it frkm happening again.

All I know is the diffuser was pouring and I looked at the bubble counter and I've never even seen it going that fast.

Hate to hear you're having issues man. When you say the co2 was raging, do you mean literally just dumping co2 or are you guessing that's what happened? Whats your drop checker look like? Was co2 tank pressure low before this happened?

Jesse

Currently do not have a DC on the tank. Looking to get one up here soon.
The knob adjusting the output was pretty far back, the tank itself wasn't just dumping it.
Tank pressure is still well above the psi it would be counted as low.

Oh my. I'm sorry to hear this. Have you found out why it was going like it was? Faulty control? Don't let it discourage you, just find the problem and fix it. What were the other fish inhabitants? Was it only shrimp?

I have no idea how it got turned up. I haven't adjusted it since Monday and it's been pretty darn perfect since then and well tonight.

Do you have siblings or anyone around who may have messed with it? Doesn't sound like the regulator failed which is good thing.

Jesse

Do you have siblings or anyone around who may have messed with it? Doesn't sound like the regulator failed which is good thing.

Jesse

Nope only person at my house is my mom who doesn't touch anything but the glass even when I ask her to.
I have 2 dogs and three cats but the tank was still right side up. If one of them knocked it I'm assuming it would be on its side....

What fish did ya lose, bro?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

6 ember tetras and a trio of temporary Otto cats.
Thankful my beloved Betta is fine now but my heart sinks for the others :(

Well if ive got anything to help jump start the rising of bichirs tank 2.0 lemme know...

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom