Big mess with potting mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimlafeiet

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Big problem.......maybe.......not sure. So I am starting a new high planted tank, and I am using potting soil capped with Floramax. I bought organic choice potting mix by Miracle Grow. I put the soil in and capped 2 days ago, no fish or plans yet, just working on clearing up the water....., and tonight when I was doing a water change to help clear the water, I pulled the siphon a little too far up and lost the suction, causing the water to DUMP back into the tank, thus stirring up the cap and soil underneath, and I now have a huge mess on my hands. Super dirty water with tons of little wood chunks floating around, and a nice layer of potting dirt floating along the top. Ugh. I used a fish net to scoop as much of the dirt off the top as I could, but it is a big mess. I have not turned the filter back on for fear all this dirt and wood will just ruin it.

Am I doomed to start over at this point or can I salvage this? The front left quarter of the potting mix and floramax are totally mixed up, no more cap.

That sucks. I've done that before. Can you drain the tank and scoop out the corner that's messed up then replace the soil and cap? You might need a barrier to stop the rest of the substrate slipping into the hole while you replace.

Back
Top Bottom