Bill's 12 Gallon Long - Iwagumi V.2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Diatoms are common in new tanks, and will recede in time. There's no way around it. You should see the diatom cycle in a fresh saltwater tank. It leaves on its own as quickly as it came. Amano shrimp do wonders, IME.

As for the GSA. Increasing phosphates may help, but it is the light intensity IME that really brings it out. I'd pick a fixture you want to run, and stick with that. Two fixtures on that shallow tank is just too much and you'll struggle to keep it balanced no matter what. Oh, and I've stopped dosing excel on my tanks and haven't seen much of a change. I venture out and say its a waste of money. You can definitely do with out it.

You really need to just be patient, keep up on the maintence/dosing, and things will slowly get better. Trust me. As soon as the HC takes off, it'll starve out the algae. It grows like a weed for me, even with just the sat +.

Appreciate the input. will try another amano shrimp. just hope it doesn't commit suicide like my first one. I like the sat+ but will need to DIY hanging apparatus. thanks!

Appreciate the input. will try another amano shrimp. just hope it doesn't commit suicide like my first one. I like the sat+ but will need to DIY hanging apparatus. thanks!
I've had amanos for a whole.. They're pretty chill little guys, unless they get spooked.. Than it's 0-60 in 2 seconds.. In that shallow of a topless tank?? 4th of July Amina style... What about RCS?

I'd get around four Amanos. There seems to always be one who is a spaz and ends up jumping. Make sure to spend a good amount of time drip acclimating them two. They'll do better that way.

Purchased 2 amano shrimp yesterday and one jumped out this morning once the lights came on abruptly. Luckily I was there to rescue. These dudes are machines. no better way to clean/eat diatoms off HC!!! I also got 2 nerites that are eating GSA off the glass!

Give em some time. They should settle in and you shouldn't have any problems. I had the same problem with my first scape. I added 5 Amanos and they had all the diatoms gone in less than a week. I was amazed. :)

Had a jumper today. I found the sucker a little dried and curled up on the floor. I didn't know how long it was out but saw a very tiny pulse in its see through head. I threw the shrimp back in the tank and it uncurled before my eyes as if it were one of those dinosaur sponge pills. It's lucky to be alive!

Dang dude! I just had an oto jump out the other night and got stuck to the dog bed sitting under the tank. We had to carefully pull it apart . It was crazy! Lucky I saw it happen! It was like fish surgery... Haha hope they work out for you!

Dude.. that's messed up.. like waiting for a new batman movie to come out..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom