Bill's 12 Gallon Long - Iwagumi V.2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I wasn't seeing a whole lot of action on this thread, so I haven't really bothered to update often. But, since you asked... ;)

Update: 4 Weeks after the flood

The tank is doing really well for the most part. I'm having a few minor algae issues, but I kind of expected that by starting out with such a small amount of plant mass. Since I had to put my live stock back in the tank after flooding, I wasn't able to pump co2 as much as I would have like to. In turn, all of the immersed growth has slowly died off and has been replaced by new submersed growth.

Here are a few problem areas. It looks like I have some brown and green hair algae.

I tried spot treating with excel and h2o2, but it doesn't seem to be working well from me this time around.

So I decided to pick up some Amano shrimp to help me keep the tank clean, and, well, they look cool too! :) I added five of them.

And here's another that managed to hoard a piece of flake from the neons. ;)

The Otocinclus have taken to hiding between these two stones during the day.

I think that's pretty much it, other than the updated FTS, so here ya go!

Thanks for the update! Your tank looks fantastic. I like your attention to detail in the scape. It looks so natural, simple, and clean. Seriously, I need to stop getting too busy in my aquascaping. You read some aquascaping books or something? Haha

Keep the updates coming!

Thanks for the update! Your tank looks fantastic. I like your attention to detail in the scape. It looks so natural, simple, and clean. Seriously, I need to stop getting too busy in my aquascaping. You read some aquascaping books or something? Haha

Keep the updates coming!

Hahaha, thanks Brian! Nah man, I'm just too lazy to trim and replant stems. ;) Also, with nearly 4 tanks running, and a ton of other stuff on my plate, I've gotta keep the scapes easy to maintain, which works out well for me because visually, I enjoy the minimalist stuff.

Makes sense... I hope, once we move again and get settled in, that I'll be able to try a nano reef. Thinking of converting my old nano cube to one. I'd probably have to remove the top, but what sucks is that they don't make glass tops for it any more. Would evaporation make keeping the specific gravity challenging?

Anyways, if that ever gets going, I'm definitely going to try adopting minimalist scapes in order to appease my MTS problems and not waste all my time and energy on maintenance.

Makes sense... I hope, once we move again and get settled in, that I'll be able to try a nano reef. Thinking of converting my old nano cube to one. I'd probably have to remove the top, but what sucks is that they don't make glass tops for it any more. Would evaporation make keeping the specific gravity challenging?

Anyways, if that ever gets going, I'm definitely going to try adopting minimalist scapes in order to appease my MTS problems and not waste all my time and energy on maintenance.

As long as you keep up on top offs, or get an auto top off, it's not that big of a deal. I just make a mark on the side of the tank where the water level should be and top off with a cup every morning and night. Not too big of a deal.

So all this talk of you guys moving again, will this move be back to Cali this time?

Bill, your scape is making me want to do an iwagumi. Even though I was just gonna order wood... I'm slowly liking the simplicity much better. I should really think about getting some stone and more AS. My only problem is with the fish. I need to work on scaping..lol. ;(

I would too, believe me. I would need to add more AS to achieve a good scape, I think. I don't know about the Ammonia with the fish.

I would too, believe me. I would need to add more AS to achieve a good scape, I think. I don't know about the Ammonia with the fish.

Oh, okay, I see. You could always pre soak the AS for a while in a bucket and change the water out daily. Honestly, my established canister cycled this tank in like 4 days with daily water changes.

Bill, your scape is making me want to do an iwagumi. Even though I was just gonna order wood... I'm slowly liking the simplicity much better. I should really think about getting some stone and more AS. My only problem is with the fish. I need to work on scaping..lol. ;(

Another option.

What you can do is move the fish to a bucket for a bit, then scoop out the AS. Use eggcrate or media mesh bags full of inexpensive stones or gravel to create the base for slopes, then pour the AS back in. Instant slopes without the need for more AS! Add in substrate supports (cut up poly plastic placemats) to keep the slopes from sliding. You can always add a bit of fluval stratum to fill in a little extra if needed... honestly they look identical and won't leach ammonia. You can even do the shrimp stratum to give it the "powder type" look.

That's a GREAT idea! Then I will only have to pay 20$ instead of 50! Perfect. Thanks a lot, Brian.

Oh, okay, I see. You could always pre soak the AS for a while in a bucket and change the water out daily. Honestly, my established canister cycled this tank in like 4 days with daily water changes.

I've been thinking about if I would even really need to worry.

I've been thinking about if I would even really need to worry.

4 days isn't too bad either, if you wanted to go all AS. I'd keep the fish in a plastic storage tub with a heater and airstone. Should be fine, if the ammonia goes away that fast. I haven't tried it, so Bill would know.

Nitrates still go off the charts, so lots of water changes are still needed. As long as you've got an established filter, it should catch up fairly fast. How much AS are you planning on adding?

So, guys... I noticed the other day on my trip to the LFS I had never been to before, they carried green neons. I'm extremely tempted to swap out my regular neons for the greens. I figure since they stay smaller, it would make the tank appear larger. Any thoughts or opinions?

Back
Top Bottom