Bill's 12 Gallon Long - Iwagumi V.2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billbug68

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all! Well, as the title states, I've decided to set up my 12 long as an Iwagumi again. I originally planned on going with a different look, but decided this would be best, as I already had all the materials on hand, just waiting to be used.

Here is the original attempt...
img_2713502_0_7aec584733647dd858d5fbb15dd18797.jpg

On my previous setup I was running a Finnex Ray 2, and it was just way too much light. This time around I will be using the Current USA Satellite LED plus. I have to say guys, I LOVE THIS LIGHT! Alright, so lets get down to buisness!

Equipment:
• Tank: Mr Aqua 12 gallon long frameless aquarium
• Filtration: Fluval 106 canister with Cal Aqua Labs lily pipes
• Heater: Hydor 1/2" inline 200 watts
• Lighting: Current USA satellite +
• Co2: GLA Atomic V2 paintball regulator, 20oz paintball tanks, NAG hang on diffuser, eBay special drop checker

Hardscape:
• Substrate: ADA Aquasoil Amazonia
• Stones: Seiryu

Planned Flora:
• HC or UG carpet, still undecided

Planned Fauna:
• 5-6 Otocinculis
• 16 Neon tetras
• 5+ Amano Shrimp

Well, I think that's about it for now. I've been messing with the hardscape here and there for a few days now. I believe I'm pretty happy with it at the moment. I'm a little bummed, as I need just a tad bit more substrate. I want to add a small gradual slope to the right front, to compliment the slope going towards the back left. I guess you'll see what I mean once I can order some more aquasoil... Anyways, here's some quick cell phone pics from this morning. Enjoy! :D
img_2713502_1_d338fbb5670506e1c366792f37354a67.jpg
img_2713502_2_7d29037d8face358f84e73ef33d4f9fa.jpg
img_2713502_3_8a00d16887bfada2016bc9d1f8b5d814.jpg
img_2713502_4_d214f9b172126b4ca1600c1e55646947.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry I'm late to class! FOLLOWING Haha... didn't even know this got started! Anyway, looking good so far. I hope that you enjoy your Current Satellite LED+ as I have enjoyed mine :)

Are you using the Current Single Ramp Timer with that Sat+? Ever since I started using it, I had zero Neon jumpers! LOL... prior to when I started using it, since my rimless doesn't have a cover, I had to pick a Neon or two of the floor when I would just shut the lighting off from full blast to off... those Neons start getting all spooked and swimming erratically into the substrate and darting to the surface... hence the jumpers on the floor!

If additional AS gets a little costly, you can be a little sacrilegious as I am, and mix in a top layer of Fluval Shrimp Stratum or regular FS. It's doing quite well in my 60P. I only did this because I got the FS for a really good deal at my LFS. Plus I had a little leftover Shrimp FS from good ol' DantheGuppyMan. :)

Sorry I'm late to class! FOLLOWING Haha... didn't even know this got started! Anyway, looking good so far. I hope that you enjoy your Current Satellite LED+ as I have enjoyed mine :) Are you using the Current Single Ramp Timer with that Sat+? Ever since I started using it, I had zero Neon jumpers! LOL... prior to when I started using it, since my rimless doesn't have a cover, I had to pick a Neon or two of the floor when I would just shut the lighting off from full blast to off... those Neons start getting all spooked and swimming erratically into the substrate and darting to the surface... hence the jumpers on the floor! If additional AS gets a little costly, you can be a little sacrilegious as I am, and mix in a top layer of Fluval Shrimp Stratum or regular FS. It's doing quite well in my 60P. I only did this because I got the FS for a really good deal at my LFS. Plus I had a little leftover Shrimp FS from good ol' DantheGuppyMan. :)

Glad you could finally make it brother!

I honestly love this light! It's sleek and sexy with a ton of extra features that add a whole new level of enjoyment to the tank! It's like the iPhone of aquarium lights! All the dynamic modes are something you couldn't get before without an expensive tank controller like an apex or something similar, which are typically only used on complex reef systems. Now us freshwater guys can enjoy the fun stuff too, and it's all built in to an affordable fixture!

I will be using the single ramp timer. Funny you should mention it. I previously had a problem with neons jumping, as well. When the lights turned on, both neons and otos would go crazy! I felt so bad for the little guys! The otos would seriously dart across the tank and face plant in to the glass! Now, with the gradual ramp up and down, it makes it less stressful on them, as well as adding a nice look for myself or whoever is enjoying the tank! I have, however, found it to be a tad bit finicky if I try to run both whites and RGBs, but if I just run the whites, it serves it's purpose well. Overall, it's a great little product, something I've really been waiting for since I started using LEDs. On top of that, it doesn't put too big of a dent in your wallet! Definitely something worth saving for if you're running these LEDs, or any other brand that may be compatible with the timer.

Wow, Bill! Haha I feel like this is meant to be seen by someone! Lol just kidding.

I don't consider anything hijacking, bro. Which ones would you have gone with?

I'm not sure. I really like the Satellite+, but I don't know if I would have went with two of them or one BML. I lean towards two of them since it would be a tad bit cheaper. I like this new ramp timer a lot, too. I didn't even realize it, but by the time I get replace my bulbs in 6 months I will be up to 150$ already for the light.

I'm not sure. I really like the Satellite+, but I don't know if I would have went with two of them or one BML. I lean towards two of them since it would be a tad bit cheaper. I like this new ramp timer a lot, too. I didn't even realize it, but by the time I get replace my bulbs in 6 months I will be up to 150$ already for the light.

Start selling some clippings and save up for some LEDs! ;)

Had a second go at the layout... I need more substrate now! :/

Attachments

• image-1675747098.jpg
    image-1675747098.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 171
  • image-1768405256.jpg
    image-1768405256.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 167
  • image-1091506592.jpg
    image-1091506592.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 168
Why more AS, though? I'm just trying to see where you want to put it. I like the "mound".

Back
Top Bottom