Bill's 12 Long - A Rimless Iwagumi Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They definitely have a really nice colour to them! I take it they proved safe for aquarium use?
I just threw it in there for a second to see how it looked under the lights.

^^^ Only if it passed the lick test! Haha **ROFL**
I've been licking them all night trying to figure out what that dude was talking about... I hate mineral water. :eyes: :rotfl:

I dunno everyone... I really like them, but the fact that they are so brittle has me wary... I think I may need to PM aqua_chem with this one...

Last edited:
When I was researching trying to figure out what rocks to put in my aquarium, I heard you shouldn't put rocks that break easily in an aquarium. Or any that have a metallic shine to them.

The best looking rock I found was basalt, if you can find them in sizes under 100 pounds.

Ok, so I decided to do a little experiment...

I added all of my found stone and Seiryu stones to separate buckets and let sit for 48 hours. I then tested for pH, KH, and GH. Here are the results:

Seiryu stones:

• pH - 7.6+(didn't bother doing the high range test)
• KH - 5
• GH - 10

Found stones:

• pH - 6.6
• KH - 5
• GH - 10

So, I think they should be just fine to use, no? I wonder why the found stones would lower pH... I should probably do a control test as well, with just my water, no stones... Thoughts?

Love your science experiment! Especially because it isn't me doing it!

It would be interesting to to see with plain water as well and RO. Just for the sake of science ;)

Ok, from a little research, it appears that the Seiryu stones would be raising my pH, not the found stones lowering it. I suppose I'll find out when I test the tap only. ;)

P.S. I think I'll retire this thread very soon. Over a thousand posts, 22,600+ views, and it's been tons of fun. I'm looking forward to starting knew... 12 Gallon Long Version 3.0 coming soon! ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom