Bill's 12 Long - A Rimless Iwagumi Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow that fixture looks sleek on that tank! Are you going to suspend the lighting somehow? Don't mean to be a downer, but you might have a battle with algae otherwise... Also check out this thread on TPT. It's with a 12L and Ray 2... might give you some ideas on light placement. Also, there's some pics of how it looks with a white background.

Ach1lL3sH33L Branched 12G Long FTS 12/5/12

Yes, pictures do not do it justice. It is very bright! I'm hoping with such a shallow tank, this fixture will give me really compact HC growth.

So here's a good story. The fixture came in, I unboxed it, and could here some stuff moving around inside the fixture. Oh heck no! Plugged it in, only half of the LEDs work. Oh heck no! I pulled off the end caps and found that what I think is the driver had slid around and sliced the hot lead to that side of LEDs clean in half. Spliced it back together and it worked fine. I might end up re soldering the wire to the LED board, but for now it's just twisted together with some electrical tape around it. I have to say, extremely disappointed in amazons shipping. They pretty much just took the fixture in its original packaging, threw it in a much much larger box with NO PACKING MATERIAL of any kind, and sent it on its way. Really amazon, REALLY??? Good thing I was able to fix it, they would have got an ear full! I can't wait to see what my filter and heater look like when they make it here... No wonder I can't sleep... :eyes:

Amazing... I can't believe you fixed it yourself. Are you confident enough to keep it after that? You're more brave than me! I'd call Amazon and demand a new one... they'll using ship another right out and pay for the shipping of the defective one back. I also got a request from Amazon to rate their packaging on certain items I've purchased, that's something worth noting to them if you get that.

Yeah, I'm confident. It was only a cut wire, no actual cosmetic damage or anything that will cause problems in the future.

Now, if you were to ask me if I'm confident in my soldering skills, that's a whole different story... Haha I may just go pick up a small crimp connector, I don't have any for that small of wire.

I'm not planning on hanging the fixture as of right now. I decided to take off the removable pieces and screws from the legs. I didn't like how far it went in to the tank. Still seems pretty sturdy without them. Look better?

Attachments

• image-3405167277.jpg
    image-3405167277.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 197
Awesome find on that etched window film! Where did you get that? That looks really clean on that background and hides those window blinds!!!

Thanks Brian. I really wasn't sure how I was going to feel about it, but I think it ended up perfect. I found the film at Home Depot. It was a little pricey, but well worth it. The smallest roll was 36" x 24" for around $20.

Sweet... I think you're on to something.. I merely suggested the look with no clue of material to use.. I think you nailed it. By golly, you just pioneered a new background method! Haha

Yeah, I ordered it from ADG. I got the confirmation e-mail this morning that it had been shipped out via UPS. It's scheduled to be delivered Thursday. I hope the 9 liter bag is enough to do what I want. ADG says its equivalent to around 20 lbs, so I should have enough.

Yeah, I ordered it from ADG. I got the confirmation e-mail this morning that it had been shipped out via UPS. It's scheduled to be delivered Thursday. I hope the 9 liter bag is enough to do what I want. ADG says its equivalent to around 20 lbs, so I should have enough.

Did you see how big my bag was? That was 9L. It's about 20" tall and 15" wide just to eyeball how much you will get...I have wayyy more than enough for my 6g plus I spilled half the bag on the floor :oops:

Back
Top Bottom