Bill's 12 Long - A Rimless Iwagumi Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Billbug68

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay guys! Here we go!

After being in the hobby for only a year, I struggled to be happy with my standard 10 gallon tank. I have developed a strong love and appreciation for the simplicity and elegance of rimless and Iwagumi style aquariums. I'm really excited that I am finally able to invest some money in to all the hardware I wanted/needed to make this a really awesome tank. I'm looking forward to sharing this experience with all of you, especially those who have been extremely helpful to me, and to everyone on the AA forum! Here it is!

The Skinny

Hardware:
Tank - Mr Aqua 12 gallon long 35.4 x 8.3 x 9.4"
Lighting - Finnex Ray 2 - 36"
Filtration - Fluval 106 Canister through glass lily pipes
Heater - Hydor 200w 1/2" inline heater
CO2- DIY Paintball as per this thread on TPT;
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=115850

Substrate/Hardscape:
ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia
Seiryu Stones

Flora:
Carpet - Hemianthus Callitrichoides
Accent/Background - Suggestions are welcome

Fauna:
Still undecided. I'm thinking green neon tetras, otocinculus, and red cherry shrimp.

Dosing: PPS-pro dosing daily mixed from GLA "green fert pack", daily flourish excel

Pictures are coming soon!

image-1278010955.jpg

It's resting place, you can see some of the seiryu stones

image-4279808775.jpg

DIY paintball injection using an ASA on/off valve and Watts needle valve. Cost me about $15.

Attachments

• image-3285321083.jpg
    image-3285321083.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 415
YAY! I cannot wait for this to get started!!! It's going to be awesome :D You kind of have the same stuff I have for my rimless 6g (HC, seiryu, PPS-Pro, etc) except yours is longgggg!

Now the main question I want to ask now is, what is all of your opinions of a black background on a tank like this. Unfortunately the only space I have in my house for it is against this window, so I'm thinking I need a background. Anyone think it would ruin the look of this style tank?

Now the main question I want to ask now is, what is all of your opinions of a black background on a tank like this. Unfortunately the only space I have in my house for it is against this window, so I'm thinking I need a background. Anyone think it would ruin the look of this style tank?

Well, you don't usually see a rimless iwagumi tank with a background....I not sure! You could just get black paper an see how it looks I guess though...but if its against a widow you would need to cover it up somehow...no other spots in the house?

Nope, window on one side of the living room, doorway on another, couch on another, and tv on the last wall. I was thinking of picking up one of the static cling black backgrounds.

Oh man... this is going to make me want to get a 12L! The excitement to watch this thread unfold sets in :popcorn:

I agree with Dan, it's rare to see a background on a rimless. However, I've seen some ADA's that come with a frosted white background (called Mist Type) that's somewhat opaque. I wonder if there's something that you can apply that wouldn't be permanent to mimic that look?

Edit:
Here's an example of what I mean...
c0119618_1534997.jpg

Oh man... this is going to make me want to get a 12L! The excitement to watch this thread unfold sets in :popcorn:

I agree with Dan, it's rare to see a background on a rimless. However, I've seen some ADA's that come with a frosted white background (called Mist Type) that's somewhat opaque. I wonder if there's something that you can apply that wouldn't be permanent to mimic that look?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they have some window film at Home Depot that is frosted white. I'm not sure how ill like it, but I might give it a go.

Im not sure about the background, but im def following along.
Man your 12g is long!

Another piece of the puzzle came in today. UPS brought me my 36" Finnex Ray 2!

Attachments

• image-817464662.jpg
    image-817464662.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 252
  • image-3060857235.jpg
    image-3060857235.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 243
Man you will love it...bright is it not? :lol: I love mine, I'm getting a FugeRay for another one of my tanks and I'm thinking about another Ray 2 for my 10g once I get it!

Back
Top Bottom