Bio media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bio material is never changed. What kind do you have as it shouldn't be falling apart? Plus that won't cause diatoms. How old is your tank? New tanks usually always have diatoms. They use silicates in the water and will eventually run their course and disappear. Nerite snails are good little additions to help get rid of diatoms and they can't breed in freshwater.

My tank is over 6 months old. It is fully cycled. It's a 26 gal bow front tall. My lighting is on from noon to 8 pm the rest of the time it's off. I am constantly deal with these brown demons. It's driving me crazy! I don't get it.

It actually sounds like you might have silicates in your tap water. So as long as the diatoms have a source of silicates they are going to continue to grow. If you don't have a planted tank you can add phosphate remover to your filter since phosphate remover also removes silicates from the water. Also adding some nerite snails, oto's, or a BNP will help. I prefer nerites as they add nothing to the bio-load, love diatoms, and can't reproduce in freshwater.

I know they have test kits for silicates for saltwater but have never seen one for freshwater. You'll have to research and see what you can find.

Back
Top Bottom