Black beard algae starting on my madagascar lace fern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fdsh5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Help! I noticed today my Madagascar lace fern is starting to grow black beard algae. Any ideas how to stop the growth? It has been in the tank for about 3 months and some of the leaves are well over two feet long. Should I cut them down and start all over? I dose excel weekly and flourish daily. I add potassium twice a week, the tank is at 74degrees because I read they do not tolerate heat well. I hate to lose the plants they are just beautiful. Thanks for any help. Oh and I have the lights on 4, off 4, on 4, off 12.

No sir, just the excel. I am considering a couple Siamese algae eaters for the tank. I just have to make sure they will get along with the angelfish. I know they are docile, but the angelfish get snippy after they lay eggs. They're lots of hiding places in the tank though.

I have angels and SAEs. No issues, but my angels haven't spawned either.

As far as BBA- they kind of nibble at it. If you have very little, then they probably would help. If they are nearly gull-grown and acclimated to prepared foods- then may be no help at all.

These are only about an inch long so I'm hoping they will go to town. There isn't alot of bba, I just noticed it starting. Maybe I could increase the excel for a little bit too.

Dose the excel using a medicine dropper (free at any pharmacy) directly onto the trouble areas daily. It will kill it within a few days.

Sounds like a plan. I use a syringe to measure it anyway so I can just put it by the bba and slowly release it. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom