Black bearded Algae hydrogen peroxide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

judyheitz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just discovered I have this nasty blackbearded Algae in my tank. I’ve been watching YouTube’s and the route recommendation is using hydrogen peroxide and also Flourish Excel. Has anyone out there used hydrogen peroxide to spray this particular Algae? I have rainbow fish Congo tetra a few Coreys and two different kinds of pleco. Definitely do not want to harm my fish.IMG_0010.jpg

I believe member Coral Bandit has experience with using Hydrogen Peroxide in tanks if you want to give him a DM

Just discovered I have this nasty blackbearded Algae in my tank. I’ve been watching YouTube’s and the route recommendation is using hydrogen peroxide and also Flourish Excel. Has anyone out there used hydrogen peroxide to spray this particular Algae? I have rainbow fish Congo tetra a few Coreys and two different kinds of pleco. Definitely do not want to harm my fish.View attachment 309821

I have used the hydrogen peroxide method before. Worked great. Get a syringe filled with h2o2 and spray directly on and around the affected areas. Make sure to turn off your filter when doing this as h2o2 will kill your BB. After 15-20 mins do a 40-50 water change and turn the pump back on. Do not use this method or excel method if you have shrimp. All other fish will be fine. When h2o2 breaks down it turns into water and oxygen. Spot treatment is better and safer than a full tank treatment.

I use peroxide often and do I don't do water changes afterwards. Unless your pouring mass amounts of the stuff in or spraying it directly on fish or critters you will not have an issue.

H2O2 will break up quickly so you have to spray the spot at close up range. Its this very reason why it will not harm your beneficial bacteria in your filtration IMO.

I've done a dozen +++ squeezes on multiple spots from my spray bottle (30 gallon tank) and never lost a fish or hurt my tanks BB

I still get occasionally blooms of BBA though. I spot treat like once a month... still searching for the final answer to ridding it for good

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom