black gravel or natural coloured gravel???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asymphony

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know it doesn't matter as to which to choose for the aquarium, but which looks more aesthetically appealing, in your opinions?!

Depends on the tank IMO. Sometimes black looks sharp, but others the natural looks great. There are too many variables, not too mention personal preference, to really say one looks better over the other.

natural def! black is cool but if u are doin plants the natural look is tooooooooooo cooool! or hey better yet why not mix the two, maybe make a pathway with the black gravel through the natural color! FOOD FOR THOUGHT

I actually have both and love them both. I have one 29g with black and it is beautiful with my black and red eye tetras, my albino cories and my black and white angel fish in there. I also have tanks with natural gravel and they are beautiful as well. And, both tanks have live plants.

I like the idea that the tank looks as natural as possible, and I've heard or read horror stories of black gravel's fading to prison grey over time. The black is achieved with some sort of dye, as well.

Still, I can't deny that when I got a few black gravel stones hitchhiking home with a plant, I liked the look of them around the base of it so much that I asked for some more when I bought more plants from that LFS later.

They can both look terrific. Personally I prefer the contrast with black.

Attachments

• plants from travis 12 002.jpg
    plants from travis 12 002.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 264
  • low light 55- 01 008.jpg
    low light 55- 01 008.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 262
Well, that's the best argument I've "heard" for either. :)

That tank on the right is really quite something.

Should've been a poll, this could get interesting.

I have both. I like both. Like you've heard, it really just comes down to what look you're trying to creat with your tank, that's all.

unless you want the best in which case, the natural wins :D
i-shall-not-tolerate-such-rubbish-good-day-sir.jpg

Personally I like the natural looking sand :D I know it's not one of your choices but i'm stating my opion. Out of my 6 tanks 4 of em have sand from my local river, soon to be 5. Then my other tank has black and white sand mixed and it looks awesome.

Back
Top Bottom