Black Spots on Anubias Leaves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lpglizard

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been seeing black spots on some of the older leaves on my petite anubias. Does anyone have experience with this? I do add Flourish and Excel. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1411275272.604734.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Could be Black beard algae

I had the same problem with my pettite. It's algae but it wasn't sure what kind because it was just black specs, never any hair. Peroxide wouldn't kill it so I had to do a light bleach dip that got rid of it. I adjusted lighting and co2/carbon and didn't come back.

I had the same problem with my pettite. It's algae but it wasn't sure what kind because it was just black specs, never any hair. Peroxide wouldn't kill it so I had to do a light bleach dip that got rid of it. I adjusted lighting and co2/carbon and didn't come back.

Yeah I had this problem with petite as well. I believe the algae is called black spot algae :lol:.
I just rubbed it off the leaves with a sponge or my fingers. You can also do the light bleach dip.

Sent with my fingers

Thanks. Will try to do a bleach rub later as my plants are tied to stones. Dipping may be easier but the stones are probably porous. Rhsoto94 thanks for the plants. They look great. by the way what do you use to keep the red in your plants? The Amman Gracillias (sp) slowly losing their color. I put a few chelated iron pIlls in the water to see if this can be reversed

Sent from my SM-P600 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh but iron should help a lot but you just want as much lighting on it you can get my tank is low tech and medium light and dose flourish and it colors up for me orange, pink and red.

You are seeing Green Spot Algae which usually shows up when phosphates are low. I've found that keeping phosphates at 3ppm will usually keep GSA from forming. You can also move it to a more shaded location which helps.

Non-green plants color up best in high light. While iron can help with coloring them up running a low nitrate (10ppm), higher phosphate tank (3ppm) will greatly improve color. Plants need phosphates for the chemical change they undergo when coloring up. But overall the best colors are achieved from higher Par levels. While I get some decent color in my medium light tanks I get the best and most intense reds, pinks, yellow, and orange from high levels of light.

I've had a near impossible time keeping anubias algae free in my med/high light tanks.. everything else will look $$$$ and than there's ol ' anubias over there... looking all sad and algae laiden.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey dude.. Remember The anubias plant is a forrest/swamp plant mening it grows wheres theres very little light.. Keeping it in the lights triggers faster growth of new leafs which its not designed to do.. What it does is that it then keeps all The nutritions and uses it for The new leafs.. The older leafs starts to die and leak nutritions into the water which is food for algae.. So keep it in The shade of taller planets, or in a dark corner

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom