Blackout for fun, bad or good idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrvincent

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is it a good idea to blackout for 3-4 days just for promoting plant grows ? I already did that for solving green water, and plants had grow awesome fast !

My tank is heavy planted, but plants grows slow, I want to boost the process a bit...

I'm injecting CO2.

Regular 3-4 day blackouts might be a bit much, but having a 24h blackout once a week or so probably wouldn't cause too much damage. All things in moderation. I would be interested to see the results.

I was thinkin about doing it once (4 days blackout), but 1 day/week is something I did not think.

A few months back we had a 4 day power outage and even after we got the generator going I left the 220g lights off for 2 nights and 1 day and honestly when I turned them back on most of the stem plants had gone growth crazy. Some of the species grew as much as 5 inches. I was shocked. I haven't tried that again in the big tank but I often wonder if occasionally giving the tank an off light day is a good thing especially since in nature and in most places (not all I realize) there are stormy days, even weeks sometimes that the light is very dim unlike nice sunny days. So could a low light day thrown in here and there be beneficial to plants... makes me wonder?

A few months back we had a 4 day power outage and even after we got the generator going I left the 220g lights off for 2 nights and 1 day and honestly when I turned them back on most of the stem plants had gone growth crazy. Some of the species grew as much as 5 inches. I was shocked. I haven't tried that again in the big tank but I often wonder if occasionally giving the tank an off light day is a good thing especially since in nature and in most places (not all I realize) there are stormy days, even weeks sometimes that the light is very dim unlike nice sunny days. So could a low light day thrown in here and there be beneficial to plants... makes me wonder?

Yeah, true, cloudy/stormy days...

I'll try (not blackout but just lights off) that 1day/week without injecting CO2 that day, and I'll tell you the results.

I had a similar experience to RC's with an anti-BGA blackout. I would be interested to know how it goes.

Im interested but I also have a question.
I am struggling to grow plants in my tank (all low light plants) but I am getting algae. Would a day or 2 with no lights but ambient kill the algae? It is like black brush algae and just the start of blue green cynabacteria.

With anti-algae blackouts, you want to tape black plastic over the tank sides to minimize light. Ambient light methods are not as effective. Vs BBA, blackouts are not effective. Vs BGA, they can be, but you would want to first physically remove all the BGA you can find and maybe treat what's left with H2O2.

That being said, I would just use erythromycin if you can. It's much more effective and simpler.

With anti-algae blackouts, you want to tape black plastic over the tank sides to minimize light. Ambient light methods are not as effective. Vs BBA, blackouts are not effective. Vs BGA, they can be, but you would want to first physically remove all the BGA you can find and maybe treat what's left with H2O2.

That being said, I would just use erythromycin if you can. It's much more effective and simpler.

Thanks. I was hoping to avoid tbe use of meds (I wouldnt even know where to purchase them) but if I have to I will. I just wish I knew what was causing it. And why my low light plants wont even grow!

You can buy Erythromycin to use in fish tanks on line, in fish stores, pet smart, and pet co all carry them. Many people use Maracyn but any fish Erythromycin will work. You need to do a full 5 day treatment and it will take care of the problem. Erythro won't harm BB and the only thing that can happen is that you get an ammonia spike from the dying cyano.

You can buy Erythromycin to use in fish tanks on line, in fish stores, pet smart, and pet co all carry them. Many people use Maracyn but any fish Erythromycin will work. You need to do a full 5 day treatment and it will take care of the problem. Erythro won't harm BB and the only thing that can happen is that you get an ammonia spike from the dying cyano.

Ok thanks. Im hoping it doesnt come back. I took out all I could see. However I dont know why it popped upnin the first place so....

It can be from a lot of reasons so it's hard to pin point but low nitrate levels under 10ppm, ammonia, low flow, dirty substrate/filters, and the list goes on.

It can be from a lot of reasons so it's hard to pin point but low nitrate levels under 10ppm, ammonia, low flow, dirty substrate/filters, and the list goes on.

I see. I dont think any of those match real well..... maybe the substrate was dirty.
Anyway sorry for hijacking...

I did my first no light day yesterday for first time, I can see with my eye my plants growed !

My Egerias densas grown for like 2-3 cm each in this no light day !

Back
Top Bottom