Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Question :blink: How many is too many?

I have purchased a Fluval Spec V and I definitely want a planted tank. My problem? I have no idea how many plants I can stick in it or what I should stick in it? I don't plan on changing the lighting that comes with it so I figure low to med lighting?

Can I have suggestions on plants and how many I can have? Oh I will also have a small piece of dw in there too, can't show a pic yet cuz it hasn't arrived yet.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

ummm, solid mass of green? theres no set rule for how many plants that I have heard, outside of leaving room for the fish to swim. as for kinds, I would stick to the smaller versions as thats a 5 gallon tank? so most moss, some crypts...most of what I can think of right off would get to big and have to be trimmed all the time.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

How about some anubias nana petite? Maybe a small crypt or some carpeting plants. Not sure about the brightness of the light either.

What substrate are you planning? I prefer Eco-complete for plants.

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 11:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I do have eco complete ordered. Is there a petite version of anubias nana? I have not seen them before, and crypt seems ok... haven't seen any moss I like except for those balls but I am not sure if my light is enough for them? More suggestions i can look up? I love how you guys know so much.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:22 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

My favorite seller for plants is Mikeswetpets either on ebay or aquabid- he sells on both. There is a website called bamaplants that was recommended to me but I have not ordered from them. Just be cautious as I got some leaches in on plants from a seller in Florida once. You should be able to get the anubias nana petite from one of them.

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I have a couple 6g Fluval Edge's which has similar lighting and I have been able to grow, Ambulia, Micro Chain Sword, Anubia's, Java Fern Wendilov, and Bolbitus quite well. Crypts tend to get leggy so I took them out. I do use liquid carbon (Excel) daily and ferts once a week after WC's. Java moss would work on the DW under that lighting also.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have the smaller version of that tank, the Spec III, at work. The lighting is the same LED setup for both. I currently have Anubias Nana (think its petite, it is quite small), Crypt Wendti (green), Water Wisteria, and a small sword. I know the sword will eventually get too big and I will have to remove it, but for now, it is filling in the back corner nicely. I trim the wisteria down about every 2 weeks. The crypt is getting a bit leggy, but I am enjoying the look I am getting from it. All these plants are growing very well with the light provided.
I also had dwarf hairgrass in the tank, which seemed to be doing well, it was growing and spreading, but I took it out because my adf kept pulling it up when he was looking for food, so I am not sure how it would do long term. I dose excel daily, and ferts once a week. Root tab under the sword and crypt.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:05 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats View Post
I have a couple 6g Fluval Edge's which has similar lighting and I have been able to grow, Ambulia, Micro Chain Sword, Anubia's, Java Fern Wendilov, and Bolbitus quite well. Crypts tend to get leggy so I took them out. I do use liquid carbon (Excel) daily and ferts once a week after WC's. Java moss would work on the DW under that lighting also.
lolololol It would be that the one I like the most is illegal in California... sigh... Why are these plants illegal? I can't think that people buy them just to plant them out in the wild.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Another question?

Had another question and figured i would just post it in this thread instead of starting a new one...

Are there plants that don't do well together?
Old 08-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

It's not that there are plants that don't do well together but it's making sure the plants you get all require the same lighting and that you have the proper lighting for those plants.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com