Blue green algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VioletEmber

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have a 10g planted tank. I have it under a window and everything was fine, but as the seasons changed and the direction of the light changed- bam, lots more algae. And I started seeing the blue-green kind for the first time.

So I covered the sides of the tank until I can move it (today), and have upped my cleaning efforts and got some Algaefix. All the efforts are helping and I'm trying to not use the Algaefix for very long or at all.

Is there something I am missing? I don't have a test kit so I can't tell you all the fancy numbers and letters, but the LFS tested the water and said it was "good" for what that's worth...

Is there anything else I should be doing? Would adding more plants help? (I have plants but they aren't that big yet.

Im not sure what algaefix is made of, but being as BGA is in fact a cyanobacteria and not algae, it might not help as much.

You might try adding more nitrates, but as you dont know the levels that may or may not be it. More flow could help the bga as well. And of course, moving the tank or blocking the light will help.

Super. Thanks for the info - I hadn't thought of more flow... I have a Betta in there so I try to keep it low, but I'll kick it up a notch and see if that helps too.

Back
Top Bottom