blue green algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lpn4

Aquarium Advice Activist
Could someone let me know if this is blue-green algae? It covers some of my sand. I also have a hairy-looking growth on my baby tears. I currently have a sick fish, and am wondering if this algae is the culprit? I read that some type of blue-green algae let off toxins. I guess if this is the case, than the antiparasitic treatment I am using is useless. :banghead:

guess I got to include the pic...here u go. i also use fertilizer in this tank weekly, and have a diy c02 injection, with 2 5watt flourescent lights on for about 10 hours a day.

Attachments

• blue green algae.jpg
    blue green algae.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 4,042
I've never heard of BGA causing sick fish before....

BGA has more of a slimy appearance than hairy, unless you have two different things.

BGA is not a parasite, so it won't respond to your anti-parasite medicines. It is, however, a bacteria, and is vulnerable to antibacterials, such a erythromycin, the active ingredient of Maracyn I.

I can usually kill it by increasing nitrate levels. Increaseing flow in the area might also help.

I was speaking of 2 different algaes, sorry for the confusion. The parasitic treatment I am using is for my puffer fish, who is wasting and has not eaten in 3 days. She is very sick. Hence, I am trying the parasitic treatment, since it had the most symptoms on the box that my fish is displaying. Melafix and the Pimafix did not state to cover anything internal. However, I was thinking that if my fish is sick due to the blue green algae, then the parasitic treatment would obviously not do any good. Also, how would I go about increasing the nitrate levels in the tank? My nitrates this morning were 10.

Back
Top Bottom