Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-29-2009, 02:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

blue or white? -- Questions on Light bulbs

Quick question: If you get a lighting setup that has two lights in it should you get both blue lights? both white? one of each? Also, just randomly wondering why lights are measured in Kelvin? I mean a light that says 12000k on it doesn't heat up to 12000k degrees, so why is it measured in kelvin? I guess I didn't known kelvin could be a measure of anything other than temperature.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Well it depends on a couple of things. If you want a planted tank then you will probably want to shoot for a 6700K bulb. Kelvin in planted aquariums refer to the color temperature of the bulb. If you are not concerned with growing live plants then it is really up to you. I think normal shop lights' (T8's) bulbs are around 10000K and are the really white bulbs. Some people like the look of actinic bulbs (the bluer ones) but they are really for saltwater setups.

Its all up to you really what you prefer. I personally like the look of the 6700K bulbs. I read online somewhere that 6500K is like a summer day (lots of sun), just to give you an idea.

Here is a link to a good article about aquarium lighting (it explains the Kelvin thing some more):
http://www.americanaquariumproducts...._Lighting.html

Old 12-29-2009, 10:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

The Kelvin rating refers to the spectrum of radiation (AKA light) given off by a black body at that temperature....basically a lot of physics jargon.

As meegosh said, what kind of bulbs you use is dependent on the kind of tank you have, with refinements for preference. For a fish only tank (fresh or salt) or a FOWLR, any bulbs will do. For a planted FW tank, 5500-10000K bulbs will work. The lower the number, the warmer the color put out by the lamp. For reef tanks, bulbs with Kelvin ratings higher than 10000K are needed, usually along with some actinic (blue) bulbs, as these replicate the light spectrum at deeper depths on the reef where many of the corals common to aquaria are found.

From what I've seen, most Home Depot (ie household) bulbs are less than 5000K, most around 2100-3300K. House bulbs are much more "yellow" than the bulbs needed to grow plants or corals. If you stuck a 10000K bulb in your living room lamps, you'd think you were in an operating room - the light is very white and not very "homey" feeling. You may find some plant bulbs in Home Depot that have appropriate ratings.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfound77951 View Post
The Kelvin rating refers to the spectrum of radiation (AKA light) given off by a black body at that temperature....basically a lot of physics jargon.

As meegosh said, what kind of bulbs you use is dependent on the kind of tank you have, with refinements for preference. For a fish only tank (fresh or salt) or a FOWLR, any bulbs will do. For a planted FW tank, 5500-10000K bulbs will work. The lower the number, the warmer the color put out by the lamp. For reef tanks, bulbs with Kelvin ratings higher than 10000K are needed, usually along with some actinic (blue) bulbs, as these replicate the light spectrum at deeper depths on the reef where many of the corals common to aquaria are found.

From what I've seen, most Home Depot (ie household) bulbs are less than 5000K, most around 2100-3300K. House bulbs are much more "yellow" than the bulbs needed to grow plants or corals. If you stuck a 10000K bulb in your living room lamps, you'd think you were in an operating room - the light is very white and not very "homey" feeling. You may find some plant bulbs in Home Depot that have appropriate ratings.
i got mine at lowes, along with some clip on light fixtures for my 55 gallon, cost me 46 dollars for 120 watts of lighting. the bulbs had a 6700k rating.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'm planning to buy my light setup and lights from fishneedit.com or something like that. The light has two lamps and you have the option to get two blue lights, two white lights, or one of each (pink is also an option). So if I want to have a planted freshwater tank, which colors should I get? It sounds like the blue lights are probably actinic and thus I don't want those for a planted tank. So both white? Or should I consider using a pink blulb or two? I can choose either 6700, 10000, or 14000. So what would be the best combination? Two white 10000k lights? ?
Old 12-30-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

For best plant growth I would use all 6700. Some like to throw in a 10000 for the bright look - looks brilliant with a white sand substrate.

Personally, I won't go for pink - ugh! Supposed to have the spectrum for some plant, but a full spectrum 6700 has all you need.

BTW - Full spectrum 6700K are common in HD & other hardware store. Usually called Daylight or Full Spectrum bulbs. Phillips make them & I get mine at HD for a fraction of the price of a lfs.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:16 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I second the 6700k bulbs. The blue, white, and pink bulbs all look weird compared to the 6700k ones. How many Watts is the setup you are looking at? What size tank is it going on?
Old 12-31-2009, 06:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

This: T5-ho 3ft / 2LAMP Aquarium lighting is the setup I was hoping to buy. I don't know how to tell how many watts it will be. It'll go on a 20gallon long. Does this seem like it will work?
Old 12-31-2009, 09:46 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

36" T5-HO is 39W. You would have over 5 wpg of T12 equivalent. If you are going for a high light, high tech setup that is a great choice.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

So I'll be able to grow almost any plants, thats what I want. How high tech am I going to have to be? I know I'll need CO2 and I'm hoping to do that DIY. Other than lights, CO2 and a substrate (I'm thinking eco-complete and pfs) do I need anything else. I have a heater and filters already. What are the disadvantages of a high light setup?

Tags
bulb, bulbs, light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com