bluegreen algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sedgy90

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys. Just increased how long my lights are on as my hc cuba wasnt gettjng enough and now I have bluegreen algea. I am for now just going to use. More water changes, and use a black molly as my ada book says they eat this type of algea.

However I am just wondering will a black balloon molly be just as effective as a regular molly?

Obv if this doesnt work I will try a blackout and the medication, but as its still a small problem at the moment Id like to treat it as naturally as poss.

I don't think mollies really eat that much BGA. It grows to fast for anything but an entire school to keep up with once it gets going.

I originally tried to treat BGA with 'natural methods', but none of them work very well, so I just go to antobiotics now. Blackouts and H2O2 treatment helped, but it never got ride of everything so it just came back.

As with all types of algae, you need to traet the precipitating causes of the algae. BGA likes high light, low nitrate environments. Does this describe your tank? I would get it when I was running low nitrates and missed a dose, thereby bottoming out on nitrates. Once you bring nitrates back up, it won't solve the problem once the BGA gets a foothold.

What's your tank setup and parameters?

Aww thanks. I do my wc on tuesdays so I will let u know later on today. Would you recommend a larger wc than normal ?

Hey before wc then after wc

ammonia - 0 after 0
N02 - 0.5 after 0
N03 - 50 after 25
GH - 250 after 250
KH - 180 after 180
Ph - 7.6 after 6.8

Does this help?

2t8s 3-9:30 just upped legnth to suit hc. Im trting brighty k and brighty special lights but stopped as algea elwebt mental.

Back
Top Bottom