bog wood floating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

13UZZ1NG

Aquarium Advice Regular
I brought a big piece of dry bog wood 3 days ago I put it in my planted aquarium and its still floating have I brought a dead peice of bog wood or something because it wont sink :/

Did you try boiling it first and soaking it for several hours in hot water. That sometimes helps.

Not all types of wood will sink; rather, some are more prone to sink better than others. In the case you have a piece that will not sink you may have to resort to weighing down with a rock or you can drive a stainless steel screw through an appropriately sized piece of slate and into the bottom of the DW.

I haven't tried putting it in boiling water I brought it from my mate who used it for couple of years it was sinking then he stoped using it and had it out of water for 2 years but now its floating

If it was sunk before and then allowed to dry out it may not sink again. I got a piece like that and it refused to sink. I finally just screwed a piece of tile to it. I recently bought box of grapewood and had the same problem with several pieces. Some of it sunk after a week of soaking and some has been in the tank for two weeks and would not sink. I just attached it to a piece of tile. Problem solved.

R ok well it still soaking now hopefully it sinks what lije a kitchen tile or something like that

I bought a large piece of driftwood from my LFS and soaked it for a WEEK. It still didn't sink. I screwed it to slate. It pulled the screws out of the wet wood instead of sinking.
Now it's been thrown back outside to live in nature.

Sometimes it just won't work...

All wood will eventually become water logged and sink. It may take longer than we think it should, but it will happen.

Back
Top Bottom