Boiling manzanita?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello guys! I just got my manzanita today!! Woohoo!

Now, do i have to boil it at all? Hot water? I noticed that it was burnt a bit, but it looks good! Would there be a problem if the black ashes/charcoal stuff were in the tank?

Thanks for all the help! Great job with shipping and everything PC1!!!

Gboy66 said:
Hello guys! I just got my manzanita today!! Woohoo!

Now, do i have to boil it at all? Hot water? I noticed that it was burnt a bit, but it looks good! Would there be a problem if the black ashes/charcoal stuff were in the tank?

Thanks for all the help! Great job with shipping and everything PC1!!!

Hey G... I'd scrap all the burnt stuff off. And I boil all my DW in a large lobster pot. And yes I boil the whole piece for about 20 minutes change the water and boil again.

Convict2161 said:
Hey G... I'd scrap all the burnt stuff off. And I boil all my DW in a large lobster pot. And yes I boil the whole piece for about 20 minutes change the water and boil again.

Hey,

Yea, try and get it all off eh? I will do my best to at least get the flakey stuff off.

Have you boiled manzanita before? It just looks so delicate!! Haha i dont wantto break it!

We have a huge sink outside, so ill just fill that with really hot water and soak it:)

You may want to ask PC1 - it is possible he has already cured/boiled it?

fort384 said:
You may want to ask PC1 - it is possible he has already cured/boiled it?

Oh ya he could have. Didnt you buy from him fort?

Not driftwood... sorry. But if there are signs of heat exposure on it, it may be worth asking him before undertaking the endeavor yourself. I don't think you will get much benefit out of just soaking it in hot water... it would need to be boiling. That can be a smelly and difficult process.

fort384 said:
Not driftwood... sorry. But if there are signs of heat exposure on it, it may be worth asking him before undertaking the endeavor yourself. I don't think you will get much benefit out of just soaking it in hot water... it would need to be boiling. That can be a smelly and difficult process.

I just PM'd him, hopefully he gets on today to respond.

It does look pretty white and clean, ill check his site again for any possible info.

Ps. What else does PC sell?

My manzanita does not need to be boiled. It has been pressure washed and is really clean. Manzanita also leeches very little tannins unless you have a root piece. Usually sink within a few days and stay in place well. Sometimes pieces will have burn marks depending on where I collect from. This in no way is harmful, I and my customers have used these for years now :) goby to answer your question I sell shrimp too as well as some stones. I'm glad you like your piece. Thanks again :cool:

PC1 said:
My manzanita does not need to be boiled. It has been pressure washed and is really clean. Manzanita also leeches very little tannins unless you have a root piece. Usually sink within a few days and stay in place well. Sometimes pieces will have burn marks depending on where I collect from. This in no way is harmful, I and my customers have used these for years now :) goby to answer your question I sell shrimp too as well as some stones. I'm glad you like your piece. Thanks again :cool:

Ya man i LOVE my piece. Not like;)

I did notice the burn marks, but IMO they look cool!!!

Yes. I soaked the wood for several hours yesterday. I didnt have to, but im glad i did. The pressure from the shower head was able to know off stray pieces of wood that otherwise would go into my tank:)

Stefernini said:
How much do you charge for DW PC?

http://manzanita-driftwood.com/Manzanita.html"]http://manzanita-driftwood.com/Manzanita.html

This is his site:) so awesome

I don't even sterilize driftwood unless I found it. Store bought malaysian and manzanita generally already had a basic cleanse, I just boil them to get remaining tannins out.
Except now my pond rocks I put in are losing their algae cover, making everything brighter looking in the tank. May leak some tannins just to get it darker

Koikid88 said:
I don't even sterilize driftwood unless I found it. Store bought malaysian and manzanita generally already had a basic cleanse, I just boil them to get remaining tannins out.
Except now my pond rocks I put in are losing their algae cover, making everything brighter looking in the tank. May leak some tannins just to get it darker

Yea, the manzanita os leaking a bit of tannins, but not much so far

Heres the tank with the manzanita in. The rocks will be gone soon, they are for a timid catfish this is leaving soon:)

I think it looks good with the rocks in.
Has anyone ever had yellow water from the tannins? I think our water is turning yellow

I've heard of it. Usually a brownish colour with maybe a yellow tint. Some go dark brown

Back
Top Bottom