Bought New Lighting Today!! Quick Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mattei

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Today I stopped by BigAls and purchased a 24'' Coralife F/W T-5 Aqualight Double Strip Light. Looks much better than my old single strip 15 watt light. I am hoping the 3 java ferns in my tank right now will grow even more. I am planning on added many more plants soon and was just wondering if this lighting over my 20 gallon tank is considered low light, because I am not too sure about the difference of T-8, T-10, and T-5, etc.

you should be able to grow low and some medium light plants. i have one over a 20 long and able to grow a fair amount of plants. the difference between the different T bulbs is the size of the bulb. the smaller the bulb the more efficient it becomes.

Is that a T5-HO? ie 24Wx2.

If so, you have at least a medium light set up. <T5's are more efficient than T12, so that is like having 60W of NO T12's.> You should be able to grow quite a large selection of plants.

you will be very happy with your lights!! upgrading to t5 lighting is the bomb!! i think you can grow any medium light plant and if you put co2 in there then you could grow any high light plant aswell.

ADD LOTS OF PLANTS! be rdy to explore ferts :D

jsoong, the Coralife are NO T5's, it'd be 2x14.

You are still fairly low light, but can probably grow the easier stem plants. Try growing Ludwigia Repens, Rotala Rotundifolia for starters, see how they do.

In addition to what was already mentioned, crypts and vals should do well in your tank too if you like those. :)

Alright thanks, gonna stop by my LFS soon to buy some plants :). I do have CO2 in my tank right now, very excited.

If you have room can leave the old light on even better.

Back
Top Bottom