Bought new lights, did I go wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chinoanoah

Aquarium Advice Freak
Guy at the LFS sold me these 18" T5 for my planted 10g, did I buy the wrong kind? Got them for $65, did I buy saltwater lights? I have not opened them (probably going to return them, spent more than my budget allows) and would like to know AA's opinion on them. I want some lighting more adequate than the two 10w CFL's i have in my current TopFin hood.
Thank you for any information you can offer!

Current USA 18" Nova Extreme T-5 Fixture 2x20W 10K/460NM - AquaCave

Ok I thought so. Can you send me a link to what I am looking for (or something in the range)?

Than you for your responses!

BillD: I dont think anything bigger than two 13w will fit in my current hood.

BenBOMB: Can you give a better definition of what bulb you are talking about?

I suggest if you get that fixutre, replace the bulb with this one in the link people. It is a 36W 6700K Daylight plant bulb straight pin. It would be perfect for you. You would get around medium lighting aswell.

Coralife 36 Watt 6,700K Power Compact Lamp- Straight Pin at Big Al's Online

Thanks Ben! Wouldn't all of that cost me just as much as the $65 I spent on the Nova Extreme (albeit not suitable for my needs). I'm trying to find a solution that will cost me less than $65, (Or at least lighting of that price that would fit my needs)

Thank you so much for the help you've given so far.

Wait, wait, wait, scratch that. That bulb suggestion I gave you is a 16in and your fixture is a 20in, bulb wouldn't fit.

I'm trying to research a different fixture for you, that one might not be the best choice. If you could, it would be nice to get a retro fit kit, 20in 40W fixture. Those might be to much work though, i'll keep intouch while researching. It's hard to find good fixtures for 10G that actually fit the 18-20in they are.

If you don't care if it sticks out, there is a great option on a 24in Corallife T-5 Fixture.

Coralife F/W T-5 Aqualight Double Strip Light-24" at Big Al's Online

That already has the bulbs you need, and they are slick looking, I have 2 of them and they look and work great.

You will get lower lighting though, instead of straight medium to high, it will problly be a lower medium, but you should be able to grow a lot of medium light plants, but you might want to look into some DIY co2 for the tank, it's an easy system to setup.

Wow that really is a good set up Ben, and great for the price. I could even run two of those for the price of the NOVA i bought!
If i got that would I need anything else for my lighting needs?
Would the Coralife be a major step up from my two CFLs currently?

Thanks for the help guys!

I will keep in contact about Co2 set up :)

Back
Top Bottom