Bought plants, but need help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pam is here

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought wisteria and moneywort. The pet store said they are easy to grow. I get on the net and many different info on these plants. So I'm a little confused. The plants came in little pots. Do you just plant the pot in the sand or do you need soil of some sort and remove from the pot? What type of fertilizer can you use on them that will not harm my fish, snails? Any info would be great. I've had fish off and on most of my life but always used the plastic plants. Thanks

Welcome to the world of plants! Remove the pots, then the rooting material around the roots (do it gently), then plant them so they are planted to the same place as they were in the pot. Meaning don't plant them too deep. As for the moneywort... if you have several stems it is best to seperate them and plant them individually, each stem close to but not quite touching the stems around it. This allows light and water circulation to the lower stems which gives better growth. As for root tabs I've heard Seachem makes good ones and they won't hurt fish/shrimp/snails. You might also want to invest in some Seachem Comprehensive to dose weekly after WC's.

Remove them from the pots and thoroughly rinse off all the green foam stuff.

You just plant them in your substrate.

SeaChem Flourish Comprehensive and Brightwell Florin-Multi are good ferts for these plants. You may also find something at your LFS. If you are sticking with low light plants then you may be able to get by with just what your fish, fish food and water changes supply.

Ok, thanks so much. Then I don't need dirt for them, sand bottom is ok? I have many tanks. I have cichlid tanks, tropical mild tanks? I do have silver dollars in my mild tanks and they are little pigs. Will they destroy the plants? Thanks

Most of the time plants don't do well in the higher ph/gh/kh cichlid tanks either... sorry!

Ok, well I guess my purchasing these was not a good idea. Maybe I will use one of my smaller tanks and put some shrimp and snails along with the new plants. Thank you all for the info.

Pam is here said:
I just bought wisteria and moneywort. The pet store said they are easy to grow. I get on the net and many different info on these plants. So I'm a little confused. The plants came in little pots. Do you just plant the pot in the sand or do you need soil of some sort and remove from the pot? What type of fertilizer can you use on them that will not harm my fish, snails? Any info would be great. I've had fish off and on most of my life but always used the plastic plants. Thanks

I have wisteria as well as other plants rooted in sand. It grows like a weed!!!

Ok thanks, I have enough to go into a few of my tanks. I will try some in each and see what happens.

Ok thanks, I have enough to go into a few of my tanks. I will try some in each and see what happens.

I'll be curious to see how well they do in hard water and higher ph. People either seem to be able to get them to grow in those conditions or they just melt away. Funny how things work in some tanks and not in others.

Back
Top Bottom