Bought this dying plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

russianaquarium

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone hows everything going... greatttt, well heres the thing i got the store manager to give me a dying plant at 70 percent off and he gave it to me... but its in rough shape and i just wanna know how good plants are with healing and if they will heal, its an amazon sword i believe, and when i took it out of its box (sold in plastic little tube like containers) and the roots where in jel, and they seemed as if they where trimmed, and its very yellow down in root area but yet it still has yellow/green leaves.. will it survive, i will attach pic as well. Thanks

Attachments

• DSCF0215.jpg
    DSCF0215.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 104
That's an Amazon sword by the looks. U will have to cut all dying leaves off as they don't heal but once it gets strong roots it will recover and make new growth. Make sure the base isn't covered or it will rot. There big root feeds so give it s root tab or 2 near it.

Dose excel aswell they love it!

Thank you, i only burried the little crowns, i believe the base is equel with the substrate, and i just left the best roots on cus i didnt want the plant to look bald haha but once new ones start coming out they will get trimmed. Thanks

Hello everyone hows everything going... greatttt, well heres the thing i got the store manager to give me a dying plant at 70 percent off and he gave it to me... but its in rough shape and i just wanna know how good plants are with healing and if they will heal, its an amazon sword i believe, and when i took it out of its box (sold in plastic little tube like containers) and the roots where in jel, and they seemed as if they where trimmed, and its very yellow down in root area but yet it still has yellow/green leaves.. will it survive, i will attach pic as well. Thanks

It will recover if it's requirements are met. I agree those mushy yellow leaves have to come off. They are doing nothing for the plant or the water. Pull them of right at the base.

Hello again, so since i bought it (i bought it half dead) nothing has changed, the crown does still seem brown, or dead. When I got it the roots looked as if they have been trimmed, like it looked straight as in done with scissors. Could it be growing roots? Because no new leaves have yet come, is it growing roots and healing? Or is it dead? Thanks. BTW it had a couple of green leaves and they are still green, which i find interesting, because all leaves where dead but those 2 and they havent changed.. thanks

Hello again, so since i bought it (i bought it half dead) nothing has changed, the crown does still seem brown, or dead. When I got it the roots looked as if they have been trimmed, like it looked straight as in done with scissors. Could it be growing roots? Because no new leaves have yet come, is it growing roots and healing? Or is it dead? Thanks. BTW it had a couple of green leaves and they are still green, which i find interesting, because all leaves where dead but those 2 and they havent changed.. thanks

Did u cut all the dead stems off?
U can uproot it and check the roots. Shouldn't effect it to much

No i didnt cut the dead leaves yet, i just wanted it to addapt, without disturbing it too much, i thought as soon as new leaves start growing i will cut off old leaves, i didn't want to destroy it more than it already is haha

By not trimming off the dead leaves the plant will be wasting energy on them rather than focusing on new growth. This type of plants will not regenerate sick leaves.

If u read above 2 or more people have said that those leaves need to go for it to grow back. Nursing plants back is not easy. All requirements need to be met

In my experience growing swords without an additional carbon source is a pain. Have you considered using excel. I've kept a few plants and swords respond very very well to liquid co2.

Dying plant

OK, thank you guys, I took it out, looks like a little root growth started... i think/hope... I cut all the leaves and replanted it, I do have API Leaf Zone which I add, but don't have API CO2, I will attach picture of it out of tank, then back in tank trimmed... what can you guys tell me about the condition it is in right now.... thanks

Attachments

• DSCF0224.jpg
    DSCF0224.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCF0225.jpg
    DSCF0225.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCF0226.jpg
    DSCF0226.jpg
    247 KB · Views: 65
Looks pretty ruff to be honest. If you want it to get new growth u will definitely need seachem excel or Api co2 booster. They also like root tabs. Co2 is a must!

U need to be dosing both leaf zone and co2. High nutrient and no co2 = algae

Yes I replanted the roots in the second picture.. why are they bad or just super dead? any chance they will survive? thanks

I'd say if u can't afford to get co2 then I'd ditch the lot.

Back
Top Bottom