Brackish Planted Conversion Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone,

I have a 29gal brackish tank that is about 1 year old and houses 1 columbian shark, 1 figure 8 puffer and 3 mutant guppies that were supposed to feed the shark but somehow took up residence....anyway... I want to convert this to a brackish planted tank. What plants are going to have the best chance in brackish water?

I am planning on upgrading my lighting to 3-5 watts per gallon..most likely 4. I will use a Hagen natural plant system to supply my Co2 and eco-complete as the substrate.

What tips do you have to make this a smooth transition? Thanks in advance!

Check out plant-aquarium.com and the brackish water section
Most of the brackish water plants are not HIGH light though

Also make sure to initially keep lower light leverls if you are completly redoing the tank to avoid an algae bloom

Java fern and Jungle Val. (Vallisneria Americana). With a 29 gallon the jungle val will give you a nice high plant for the background. I grows so long you'll be trimming it at the surface for sure. Or, you can let it grow longer in one area if you'd like a shady area for whatever reason.

Disclaimer: My jungle val was collected from the wild in the Chesapeake bay. I have a personal theory that mine is a sub-species with a higher tolerance for brackish conditions, due to the fact that it was collected from an estuarian brackish source, where it has been growing and adapting to those conditions for many thousands of years. I think Jungle val that comes from a strictly freshwater source has less tolerance for salt. However, I have a LOT of personal theories that are untested by the scientific community at large.

Prettyfishies, I see you are from New Jersey. If you are the adventurous type, head to a river mouth, or bay where the water is brackish (and as un-polluted as you can find), and collect a few plants. Getting pretty chilly, so you may have to wait for spring. As always, obey your local laws. I'd bet you can find some pretty interesting plants that will do well in a brackish tank.

Collecting is fun, and it makes your aquarium more interesting, IMO. Checking the progress, and showing off "your" plants, is much more fun than store-bought!!

Back
Top Bottom