Brackish Plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcgdz86

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi friends!

I'm looking at setting up my second tank. I am considering a brackish Green Spotted Puffer tank.. And would love to have live plants for the little guy to swim around in.

I have never owned live plants in a tank before so am very uneducated about the process. I was told by my LFS that plants won't survive in brackish conditions. But he also has given me incorrect info in the past. Is this true? Are there some plants that do better in brackish conditions or is Doing a planted tank not possible.

I had read about possible starting the tanks as fresh water with plants only.., and slowly transitioning it to brackish as a way to keep live plants. Is this a viable theory?

I'm interested in all advice, opinions, and techniques thanks

I have a brackish tank. I tried plants in it unsuccessfully. However, I do have two Marimo moss balls in it that are thriving and growing. They have been in the tank for about 10 months. So, I think that it is possible for some plants to live in brackish water, but you will have to do your research on which ones. It may not be any of the ones that are readily available at the stores, though.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The reason why plants can't live in salty environments is because the water in their own cells will diffuse outwards. This means they will go limp, among other things. So it stands to reason that most stem and rosette plants will die unless they have special adaptations.

So I'm not surprised that moss balls work. Java moss would be a good thing to try because it's a moss (bryophyte), and you might even give anubias a shot although I have doubts about that.

Back
Top Bottom