BRand NEw to the game....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abomb

Aquarium Advice Regular
Alright heres the scoop....

Have never had a planted tank before and would liek to try one in my empty 15 gal tank. Currently has a 19 wat lighting fixture but sounds like that may need to be upgraded?

PLan on useing Eco-complete substrate

and from what informaiton i gathered in my tropical fish hobbyist mags and other places i dont necesarily need a co2 injector.

WOuld like to use some low light plants woudl these plants work.....

ground cover
-MArsilea Quadrifolia
-Echinodorus Tenellus (pygmy CHain sword)

Then im stuck on some other plants

any help suggestions, pointers, tips.....I have read through most of the forum but figured i would post now and ocntinue reading...

Adam

well, you're lighting is perfect for low light plants, you'll definatly want to upgrade if you want plants that require higher light. I suggest checking out this website. ( http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?siteid=26&pCatId=766 ) They have a bunch of easy to get plants which your LFS can order, plus a good guage on how much light the plants will need.

*edited to add* I really like anubias plants. They are great in the foreground. Amazon Swords may have a too large of root system in a 15 gallon tank and could potentially choke out the other rooted plants. I've been told wysteria sheds like crazy, but IMO it looks nice. Never had it though. Anachris is a safe bet, though I've found people either love or hate it. Hmmm... that is about it on my plant experience :D HTH!

The clover plant you mention is a decent one for lower light setups, but if you have the 15gal I am thinking of it is a very tall plant and the clover might have a struggle with that amount of light.

With the light you have you can grow most Cryptocoryne species, Anubias species (as mentioned) java fern and java moss. I have hornwort growing in one of my low light tanks but it is a bit leggy. Start with those, read the stickies at the top of the forum, and see how you do. :D

I would avoid any of the Echinodorus (e.g. E. tenellus) species as they tend to like medium or better lighting. M. quadrifolia, IME, does great in ~1.5 or better light or possibly in lower light if it isn't shaded as TG suggests. I'm a huge fan of Crypts and Anubias too and can highly recommend them for your proposed set up. There is a great variety to choose from and you can spend a long time just learning how they grow. Good stuff :)

Back
Top Bottom