Brands of Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BfishLpond78

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Quick question, i always here what specs people need for specific plants, whether it be low, low-moderate, moderate, moderate-high and high light plants. But no one ever says what brand is good to use. I know i need a 48 inch 2x54w fixture for my 55gal, but i don't know what brand of light to go with...

Any suggestions?

Also what K light should i go with 6700 or 10000?

I would like to do low-moderate light plants, don't want to get into ferts and CO2 as of right now.

IMO go with a two light t5ho aquatic life fixture and do both lights.

As far as bulb brands go i don't think it matters, as long as you get the right k

I'm looking to go with T-5HO's i believe they are called. I don't want to go crazy with money, i know MH and LED's are super expensive and will require the injection of ferts and CO2.

I was told to get the fishneedit lights but they've been out of stock for awhile and i called and they said it will be awhile before they get more. So i am kinda out of options. I'll check out the Giessmans, thanks!

No problem! They were actually reccomended to me by a mod on the site, mfdrookie516. I personally have no experience with them but you can ask him about them. :)

Look for any brand that carries individual miro reflectors for each bulb. Stay away from the units that share a reflector for two bulbs (e.g., Hagen glo fixture).

The fishneedit fixture would work but maybe get a 4 bulb fixture instead. Then you have room to grow should you decide to go with a larger tank or a harder plant species. Just know that their fixtures use one reflector that is curved for each bulb. It's not as efficient as a tek fixture.

If you have a canopy, go with a retro fit kit. Before T5s came out, 6 t8 bulbs performed the same

Ok, so if i was to go with the 4 bulb...could i leave 2 off while i just have the low light plants so I don't overdo it? So if i have the glass canopy can i use the fishneedit lights?

Nevermind, just checked they are all out of stock too...what are some names of good brands?

I just recently picked up an Oddyssea light fixture. For the money I can't say anything bad about it. It has the moon LED's and there are chords for each light/LED's so you can run on timer and use only 2 lights or 4 or stagger them like I do.

Under $100
Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting

They do have a 2 bulb fixture as well, but I don't think it has the moon LED's(which look awesome at night btw).

Do you have any pictures sparky?

Anyone have any thoughts on this brand?

odyssea used to have a bad rep a few years ago but it seems like they've really come a long way. I know a lot of people who have their fixtures and are happy with them.

They are on the cheap end of the spectrum for light fixtures, and because of the cheap reflectors/cheap bulbs they don't have nearly the light intensity that one of the higher end ones do. But still, they will grow plants just fine, and are definitely worth the money IMO.

It would be nice to get someone with a PAR meter to get the exact #s.

Understandable, someone out there has to build it for cheaper, I mean my main goal is to get some experience growing plants, i want the tank well lit and the moonlights I love so I like that aspect. I guess it is a good place to start for my first real light fixture, i just have a problem buying things without other peoples opinion.

Correction, i dont mean is there anyone cheaper than that, i meant to say one company has to build things cheaper to balance everything out.

Back
Top Bottom