Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-05-2017, 11:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Brian's 12g (Looong) Rimless - Journal

Back at it again with a 12g, this time a "long" (pun intended) time favorite tank size I've always wanted but couldn't justify... That is, until now, the Mr. Aqua 12g long has arrived. In low iron high clarity glass to boot!!

After selling a few things I accumulated in the hobby, I was able to scrape up some funds and acquire this beauty, shipped to my door (and with a help of a small coupon) for a whopping $10, out of pocket. Score!

I was able to justify this acquisition with the misses because we moved to a new place that was more than double the size and there was a perfect spot for it on a pair of Ikea kallax shelf units. I think the planets were in alignment and it was destiny to finally get one of these!

What else justified this build was the fact that I have extra bags of substrate, unused hardscape material, filters, co2 mini regulator, and a light... So the only real investment would be my time, plants and fish.

With that said, here's the run down:

* Tank: Mr. Aqua 12g Long (35.4" x 8.3" x 9.4")
* Light: 24" Ecoxotic E-Series
* Substrate: Brightwell Aquatics FlorinVolcanit + ADA Aquasoil Amazonia
* Ferts: PPS-Pro and Flourish Tabs.
* CO2: Aquatek mini paintball
* Filter: Fluval 106 + CalAqua Labs Lily Pipes + AZOO Skim 250

After a little internal debate and asking opinions in my 60p journal, I decided to go with a frosty clear background (instead of black) coupled with the clean, but also higher maintenance, Lily pipe combo. Nothing screams sexier than a rimless with lily pipes, IMHO. So I measured and cut to size some Con-Tact clear shelf liner, which is more like a semi-opaque self adhesive privacy glass material. It's good stuff because it's easily removable without leaving a sticky residue. What a pain to apply on a large surface tho! Left some bubbles here and there, despite trying my best to squeegee them out. But dang, it still looks clean, especially with the sharp crisp lines of this tank, excellent silicone work, and elegant beveled glass edges.. Wow I'm ecstatic!

So for lighting, my initial thought is that because I have both 24" Ecoxotic E-Series suspended over the ADA 60p, I'd use my "extra" 18" E-Series on this 36" long tank... Wait.. This doesn't sound right! Lol. But maybe if I suspended it high enough and at full-power output, maybe the light spread would be large enough? Wrong! It almost would work if I kept an island center type of scape, but ideally I'd want a 36" long light fixture, but I decided to swap the 18" light with a 24" one from my 60p build. I also decided on doing another conduit pipe light hanger, but this time with a single 90į bend over the 12g long and paint it black to match the dark brown wood furniture. Lastly, a nice guy in my 60p club in TPT agreed to make me a copy of his pair of custom designed and cut acrylic light brackets that hold the E-Series to the conduit pipe with precision. They look fantastic and I finally get to use them after holding on to them for years!!

And finally, swapping the 18" fixture to the 24", which is much much better!! oh and my girlfriend helped with the side decor... Lol

Night mode:

Thanks for following and any comments.

Old 10-05-2017, 01:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ooooohhhhh, your girlfriends accessorizing is on point!

Really digging what you've got started there! The lighting is looking great suspended with the single 90degree bend. What's the lights height from the tank top? I'm guessing you already are familiar with this brand of light(I am not) and know the daily photo period(100% output?), nutrients, co2 and what not. Im looking forward to reading about it take shape.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Very cool looking! I shall look forward to seeing the completed set up!
Old 10-05-2017, 09:47 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbox View Post
Ooooohhhhh, your girlfriends accessorizing is on point!

Really digging what you've got started there! The lighting is looking great suspended with the single 90degree bend. What's the lights height from the tank top? I'm guessing you already are familiar with this brand of light(I am not) and know the daily photo period(100% output?), nutrients, co2 and what not. Im looking forward to reading about it take shape.
Hi Tbox... Thanks for the compliment and I'll inform the GF.. I'm sure she'll be happy. She likes the light and setup looks overall, so even so she's not really into tanks and aquascaping as I am, at least she's fully on board! Lol...

As for the light, it's about 15" to bare bottom. The distance will close in after there is about 2 to 3" (or more) of substrate. So I'm guesstimating about 100 to 75 PAR if I went full intensity on it. These lights are bright but after reading up on them more, especially in the E-Series thread I had going on in TPT, it appears the design is somewhat flawed in that there isn't enough surface area in the aluminum housing to help dissipate the heat, therefore these lights have a propensity to overheat. Knowing that, I'll most likely dial in the daylight photoperiod to peak at 75 to 80% of its max capability. So far the lower max output on my ADA 60p build seems to have been working great and growing everything under them. The lights get warm but never too hot as a result.

I haven't decided on a duration for the photoperiod but I'm guessing about 6 to 7 hours.

Here's some data on the this light.

Click image for larger version

Name:	45809400b.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	304228

Click image for larger version

Name:	tapatalk_1507249526993.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	304229

Thanks for following the build! 👍
Old 10-05-2017, 10:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkendog View Post
Very cool looking! I shall look forward to seeing the completed set up!
Thanks, elkendog!
Old 10-06-2017, 02:12 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Looks like art!

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -12G PRL Shrimp
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:37 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Thanks, Autumn!! Glad to see you here...
Old 10-06-2017, 11:57 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Can't wait to see what you do with it!
Old 10-06-2017, 12:06 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMaier View Post
Can't wait to see what you do with it!
Thanks, TMaier... I'm still scratching my head on scape, plants, and fish... Lol. I'll start giving it some thought. I've been going around online and saving what images of scapes I find inspirational.

The manzanita branch currently pictured in my post, isn't a for sure thing. But I do know I will be combing dw and stone, going for a nature scape of sorts.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks great Brian! Do you know what sort of scape your going to go with yet? Looks like your light spread is going to be fine

Interested to see what you come up with as Iím considering a 12 long myself.

Whatís the silicon work like on the mr Aqua? Iíve heard mixed results about the finishís on those tanks? For a 3rd of the price of a Ada or starfire Iíd live with a little extra silicon if it wasnít that bad haha

Tags
12g, journal, rim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com