Brian's 12g (Looong) Rimless - Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Nano12g

Aquarium Advice Addict
Back at it again with a 12g, this time a "long" (pun intended) time favorite tank size I've always wanted but couldn't justify... That is, until now, the Mr. Aqua 12g long has arrived. In low iron high clarity glass to boot!! :)

After selling a few things I accumulated in the hobby, I was able to scrape up some funds and acquire this beauty, shipped to my door (and with a help of a small coupon) for a whopping $10, out of pocket. Score!

I was able to justify this acquisition with the misses because we moved to a new place that was more than double the size and there was a perfect spot for it on a pair of Ikea kallax shelf units. I think the planets were in alignment and it was destiny to finally get one of these!

36525729593_0ba57db3c0_b.jpg

36525753813_5bbc81ae85_b.jpg

What else justified this build was the fact that I have extra bags of substrate, unused hardscape material, filters, co2 mini regulator, and a light... So the only real investment would be my time, plants and fish.

With that said, here's the run down:

* Tank: Mr. Aqua 12g Long (35.4" x 8.3" x 9.4")
* Light: 24" Ecoxotic E-Series
* Substrate: Brightwell Aquatics FlorinVolcanit + ADA Aquasoil Amazonia
* Ferts: PPS-Pro and Flourish Tabs.
* CO2: Aquatek mini paintball
* Filter: Fluval 106 + CalAqua Labs Lily Pipes + AZOO Skim 250

After a little internal debate and asking opinions in my 60p journal, I decided to go with a frosty clear background (instead of black) coupled with the clean, but also higher maintenance, Lily pipe combo. Nothing screams sexier than a rimless with lily pipes, IMHO. So I measured and cut to size some Con-Tact clear shelf liner, which is more like a semi-opaque self adhesive privacy glass material. It's good stuff because it's easily removable without leaving a sticky residue. What a pain to apply on a large surface tho! Left some bubbles here and there, despite trying my best to squeegee them out. But dang, it still looks clean, especially with the sharp crisp lines of this tank, excellent silicone work, and elegant beveled glass edges.. Wow I'm ecstatic!

23641854768_fe7eb82177_b.jpg

So for lighting, my initial thought is that because I have both 24" Ecoxotic E-Series suspended over the ADA 60p, I'd use my "extra" 18" E-Series on this 36" long tank... Wait.. This doesn't sound right! Lol. But maybe if I suspended it high enough and at full-power output, maybe the light spread would be large enough? Wrong! It almost would work if I kept an island center type of scape, but ideally I'd want a 36" long light fixture, but I decided to swap the 18" light with a 24" one from my 60p build. I also decided on doing another conduit pipe light hanger, but this time with a single 90° bend over the 12g long and paint it black to match the dark brown wood furniture. Lastly, a nice guy in my 60p club in TPT agreed to make me a copy of his pair of custom designed and cut acrylic light brackets that hold the E-Series to the conduit pipe with precision. They look fantastic and I finally get to use them after holding on to them for years!!

23641855678_6f5b5a5199_b.jpg

37236235560_86b02580b4_b.jpg

37494356381_68c5665303_c.jpg

36784614074_caf6a4ed0b_c.jpg

23641860248_f93bd98982_b.jpg

23641861578_445f0a5575_b.jpg

23641863788_332f80b5ba_b.jpg

And finally, swapping the 18" fixture to the 24", which is much much better!! :) oh and my girlfriend helped with the side decor... Lol

36784617014_ff9d348eab_b.jpg

Night mode:

37463335192_369fe298da_b.jpg

23642134238_86be4af1c0_c.jpg

Thanks for following and any comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooooohhhhh, your girlfriends accessorizing is on point!

Really digging what you've got started there! The lighting is looking great suspended with the single 90degree bend. What's the lights height from the tank top? I'm guessing you already are familiar with this brand of light(I am not) and know the daily photo period(100% output?), nutrients, co2 and what not. Im looking forward to reading about it take shape.

Ooooohhhhh, your girlfriends accessorizing is on point!

Really digging what you've got started there! The lighting is looking great suspended with the single 90degree bend. What's the lights height from the tank top? I'm guessing you already are familiar with this brand of light(I am not) and know the daily photo period(100% output?), nutrients, co2 and what not. Im looking forward to reading about it take shape.
Hi Tbox... Thanks for the compliment and I'll inform the GF.. I'm sure she'll be happy. She likes the light and setup looks overall, so even so she's not really into tanks and aquascaping as I am, at least she's fully on board! Lol...

As for the light, it's about 15" to bare bottom. The distance will close in after there is about 2 to 3" (or more) of substrate. So I'm guesstimating about 100 to 75 PAR if I went full intensity on it. These lights are bright but after reading up on them more, especially in the E-Series thread I had going on in TPT, it appears the design is somewhat flawed in that there isn't enough surface area in the aluminum housing to help dissipate the heat, therefore these lights have a propensity to overheat. Knowing that, I'll most likely dial in the daylight photoperiod to peak at 75 to 80% of its max capability. So far the lower max output on my ADA 60p build seems to have been working great and growing everything under them. The lights get warm but never too hot as a result.

I haven't decided on a duration for the photoperiod but I'm guessing about 6 to 7 hours.

Here's some data on the this light.

45809400b.jpg

tapatalk_1507249526993.jpeg

Thanks for following the build! ?

Last edited:
Can't wait to see what you do with it!
Thanks, TMaier... I'm still scratching my head on scape, plants, and fish... Lol. I'll start giving it some thought. I've been going around online and saving what images of scapes I find inspirational.

The manzanita branch currently pictured in my post, isn't a for sure thing. But I do know I will be combing dw and stone, going for a nature scape of sorts.

Last edited:
Looks great Brian! Do you know what sort of scape your going to go with yet? Looks like your light spread is going to be fine [emoji106]

Interested to see what you come up with as I’m considering a 12 long myself.

What’s the silicon work like on the mr Aqua? I’ve heard mixed results about the finish’s on those tanks? For a 3rd of the price of a Ada or starfire I’d live with a little extra silicon if it wasn’t that bad haha

Looks great Brian! Do you know what sort of scape your going to go with yet? Looks like your light spread is going to be fine [emoji106]

Interested to see what you come up with as I’m considering a 12 long myself.

What’s the silicon work like on the mr Aqua? I’ve heard mixed results about the finish’s on those tanks? For a 3rd of the price of a Ada or starfire I’d live with a little extra silicon if it wasn’t that bad haha
Bert! Do it, get the 12g long!! Haha.. Bad influence. Or good? I've seen their new 22g long, which looks awesome too for those looking for larger than nano sized tanks.

The silicone work, IMHO, is about 90% the quality of my 60P, which is flawless. The seams where the tank is going to be visible is 100% perfection. The only flaw was a little excess silicone on the bottom. Also, they advertise this tank as low iron high clarity, and while it is much clearer than my 3g Mr. Aqua shrimp tank (which definitely has the green tint, slightly), there's a hint of green on the base glass of this tank. I wonder if they use low iron for the side panels and a thicker green glass on the bottom, which I can see can possibly save them cost and increase durability as I read somewhere that low iron glass can scratch easier. Overall, I'm happy with it as long as it passes the holding water aspect, which I've neglected to test at this point. Lol

My unknown brand low iron tank (new it came from a guy who won it at Denver Macna but couldn't remember from who, used the lights didn't need the tank) i accidently broke out the bottom when it slipped out of my fingers and didn't catch it too hard on my leg but shattered!!! Much more delicate glass. I would be happy about the bottom not being low iron!

Bert! Do it, get the 12g long!! Haha.. Bad influence. Or good? I've seen their new 22g long, which looks awesome too for those looking for larger than nano sized tanks.

The silicone work, IMHO, is about 90% the quality of my 60P, which is flawless. The seams where the tank is going to be visible is 100% perfection. The only flaw was a little excess silicone on the bottom. Also, they advertise this tank as low iron high clarity, and while it is much clearer than my 3g Mr. Aqua shrimp tank (which definitely has the green tint, slightly), there's a hint of green on the base glass of this tank. I wonder if they use low iron for the side panels and a thicker green glass on the bottom, which I can see can possibly save them cost and increase durability as I read somewhere that low iron glass can scratch easier. Overall, I'm happy with it as long as it passes the holding water aspect, which I've neglected to test at this point. Lol

Ah good to know! Yea I’m consisting getting Rid of my 55g (wife’s goldfish tank) and getting a 12 long or the 1200x30x30cm.

I’d onlyNeed the lights and a co2 splitter so wouldn’t really break the bank. I’ve got a scape in mind already and would also like to grow some plants out of the top of the tank for something different aswell.

Yea I’d be happy with stronger bottom glass, I tapped my 60h on the pool table when I walked past to set it up and chipped the bottom corner!! I was soooo angry lol I ended up adding some extra silicon in the corner to make sure it didn’t fail lol

I’ve got 2 rescapes to do when I get home so that will keep me busy for a while and maybe give me some time to get rid of the 55.

Following along to see your progress, looks great so far [emoji106][emoji16]

Luckily I never had any mishaps with my low iron tanks (had 3, then just 2, now back to 3).. Knock on wood. But from what I read coupled to hearing both of your experiences, i can see the advantage of the extra thick bottom regular glass. Anyways, once the scape is in, it wouldn't be seen. I think I like the idea of emersed growth. Not sure if it'll be an aquatic flora or air plants (bromeliads) attached to emersed DW branches.

Luckily I never had any mishaps with my low iron tanks (had 3, then just 2, now back to 3).. Knock on wood. But from what I read coupled to hearing both of your experiences, i can see the advantage of the extra thick bottom regular glass. Anyways, once the scape is in, it wouldn't be seen. I think I like the idea of emersed growth. Not sure if it'll be an aquatic flora or air plants (bromeliads) attached to emersed DW branches.

I’ve seen a lot of scapes with hygro pinnifida growing out the top and it looks pretty dam cool [emoji41] I’d say that would be one of the easier ones to grow out of the tank [emoji106] love the idea of the driftwood being partly emersed too!

I’m jealous to say the least! [emoji16]

No real advancements in the development of this build.However, we had a small Halloween theme dinner party over the weekend. And with a little decor and dry ice, it made for an interesting conversation piece! Lol

20171023_142116-1008x490.jpg

No real advancements in the development of this build.However, we had a small Halloween theme dinner party over the weekend. And with a little decor and dry ice, it made for an interesting conversation piece! Lol

View attachment 304533

Double duty tank - subtract the cost of a cool Halloween decor piece for a dinner party, and now let's just throw out there the $20 less that tank REALLY cost you ;) It is my favorite fuzzy math calculations.

Hey everyone.. How goes it? Almost a year later from my last post on this thread, I'm finally going to set this up. In case you're wondering, I repacked this tank and stored it in the garage. A lot has happened, like having a baby, selling my 60P tank, and quitting the hobby for a minute.. But I'm back, albeit in limited capacity!! [emoji12]

Back
Top Bottom