Brian's 3g Long Rimless - MTS struck again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay.. I didn't think about the breeding part. I just read that they're pretty prolific breeders. So I guess my 3g might not be sufficient then.

I wish I could do an Orange dwarf Cray. Unfortunately, ALL pet Cray species are banned in AZ. Lame, I know! :mad:

Yeah, I don't think that there would be enough floor space anyways, IMO.

Well that IS lame! :eek:

Okay.. I didn't think about the breeding part. I just read that they're pretty prolific breeders. So I guess my 3g might not be sufficient then.

I wish I could do an Orange dwarf Cray. Unfortunately, ALL pet Cray species are banned in AZ. Lame, I know! :mad:

Well thats CRAYzy! :brows:

I'm tagging along a bit. I've been kinda busy :hide:.

Sounds cool!

Okay.. so after seeing a certain 1 gallon nano scape I'm super jealous about, I got inspired to finally get this build going again. I'm sure it won't be as nice as that certain tank (hint hint), but I'm motivated nonetheless.

I set up a table top stand last night. It has enough clearance underneath to put my 2g cube there as well. So I'm thinking of making the cube into a wabi kusa.. that'll be a first, so I have some research to do if I'm going to pull it off.

Still trying to conceptualize the 3g long scape. But starting-out photos to come soon (probably tomorrow).

Hahaha you likey the mini huh?? Mee too! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Brian check out the IAPLC 14 contest results. Plenty of sweet tanks to draw inspiration from. Ive read build threads from some of the competitors and they literally scrutinise every little detail to do with their layouts. Quite ridiculous really but that attention to detail is needed for that contest

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hahaha you likey the mini huh?? Mee too! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Thanks, Brook.. So does this mean you might consider a Pico tank? Do it!

Brian check out the IAPLC 14 contest results. Plenty of sweet tanks to draw inspiration from. Ive read build threads from some of the competitors and they literally scrutinise every little detail to do with their layouts. Quite ridiculous really but that attention to detail is needed for that contest

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks, Sk3lly.. I'll check out those sources!

===================
Update
===================

So I cleaned up my 2g with vinegar and then added a frosty background to the 3g long. What a PITA. Here's my weird but functional tower of picos. Got the half round table in the as-is section of ikea for $3. Threw some capata legs on it and voila.. ;)

Also, I found some interesting threads on wabi kusa.. So the bottom tank should look cool if I don't miserably fail at it.

Check it out :)

Sweet tower bro!! This should be pretty good me thinks.. it wouldn't qualify as nano.. been eyeing this 16×16" rimless cube by deep blue at my lfs .. it's 12 gal.. be a nice replacement for my 5.5gal cpd tank!

How does the deep blue tank compare in price to the AquaTop rimless cubes at truaqua.com?

How does the deep blue tank compare in price to the AquaTop rimless cubes at truaqua.com?

It was listed at $45, i could probably get it for $40. Seems like a steal actually....

^^ Brookster, just do it! Cubes are a little more difficult, IMO. I'd recommend a rimless with the Mini M dimensions.

^^ Brookster, just do it! Cubes are a little more difficult, IMO. I'd recommend a rimless with the Mini M dimensions.

Maybe if someone sends me some ug for it haha.. i like the mr. Aqua cubes. The deep blue has a black silicone seal.. not digging it as much.. any recommendations?

The birth of a Wabi-Kusa (I think).

Okay... so instead of scaping my 3g Long, I decided to wait a bit (again) because I don't want to rush this scape. I'm still thinking of ways to make it look good. Hopefully I'll have something over the weekend or by next week.

For now, however, I got the 2g cleaned up nice and Wabi-Kusa'd out.

Here's a close-up of the cube and how I managed to squeeze the LED light overhead with limited clearance.

Then I took a fine mesh bag and filled it with new AquaSoil and a few small river stones to weigh it down. I also got a nice clump of peacock moss that I'll use to cover the ball with.

With fishing line I wrapped it real tight to form a ball.

And the finished product... DAY 1
So I guess, I'll make this a build within a build (or should I make a seperate thread for this?).

15891706542_fedc8b7382_b.jpg

15890362701_4357e8febb_b.jpg

15706321759_1cdda91633_b.jpg

Maybe if someone sends me some ug for it haha.. i like the mr. Aqua cubes. The deep blue has a black silicone seal.. not digging it as much.. any recommendations?

Yeah, don't get a tank with black silicone for this. High clarity glass with very clean silicone work for minimal distraction from your scape.

For cubes:
High Clarity Glass Aquarium Tanks

For rectangle tanks:
ZEN SeriesNEW : CAD Lights, Think outside the cube

Or....
http://www.marinedepot.com/Azoo-Saltwater_Fish__Coral___Reef_Aquariums-AZ1-FIAQ-ct.html

Also, I believe MarineDepot has a Black Friday deal on their very popular Mr. Aqua 12G Long. Although, I'm not sure if you have the space for that tank. GLA started carrying tanks again. However, don't think their prices are that competitive as they used to be. Lastly, there's ADA but that's over-priced in this category of tanks. :D

Okay... so instead of scaping my 3g Long, I decided to wait a bit (again) because I don't want to rush this scape. I'm still thinking of ways to make it look good. Hopefully I'll have something over the weekend or by next week.

For now, however, I got the 2g cleaned up nice and Wabi-Kusa'd out.

Here's a close-up of the cube and how I managed to squeeze the LED light overhead with limited clearance.

Then I took a fine mesh bag and filled it with new AquaSoil and a few small river stones to weigh it down. I also got a nice clump of peacock moss that I'll use to cover the ball with.

With fishing line I wrapped it real tight to form a ball.

And the finished product... DAY 1
So I guess, I'll make this a build within a build (or should I make a seperate thread for this?).

15891706542_fedc8b7382_b.jpg

15890362701_4357e8febb_b.jpg

15706321759_1cdda91633_b.jpg

Pretty good start there Dr.! So the focus is the center growth? Im not familiar with this style yet.. I'll be googling now..

I like this one! I could simply replace the 5.5.. thoughts?
Under Construction

Looks good to me. Look up ADA Mini M aquascapes, in Google images and YouTube. It's only 2g's less in volume than the AquaTop tank. So you can get an idea of the possibilities with that footprint.

Back
Top Bottom